Hepos/GGRS87/TM87 added in ReachView3 v. 6.3

Dear Tatiana,
leaving the matter of terminology aside, with the recent additions that you have done in version 6.3 of ReachView3 app, you have solved the major issues of coordinates transformations in Greece. I can verify that Hepos/GGRS87/TM87 (= Helmert 7 parameters transformation + Hepos Grid 2D corrections) is the datum that is used by NTRIP correction services, like HEPOS and HxGN Smartnet (I have bought a subscription in SmartNet).

Besides, perhaps the following image, which I have extracted from the Coordinates Section of Mobile Topographer, is of interest to you.

The following options are offered:

1. GGRS87 (Greece 7 Parameters) = ReachView3 GGRS87 Approx.
  2. GGRS87 (H) (Greece Hepos, Kastelorizo excluded) = ReachView3 GGRS87/HEPOS.
  3. GGRS87 (H-Kas) (Greece HEPOS – Kastelorizo).
    Note: Kastelorizo is a remote island to the SE of Mainland Greece, in whose area different transformation parameters are applied.

Apart from the above, GGRS87 (EPSG 2100) is to be found in ReachView3 App (for details see: GGRS87 / Greek Grid - EPSG:2100). This is the datum that was commonly used between 1990 and 2009. Its realization was based on three parameters, but its use is no more recommended in modern practice.

Let me again thank you and your collaborators for the great job you have done with the Emlid products and ReachView3 app!

3 Likes

Hi Evangelos,

Yeah, since the new-added CS works properly, the terminology is not that important. But we want everything to be consistent and straightforward, so we’d either change naming or remove the obsolete CS from the list at all.

You owe us the photos now! :joy:

1 Like

Please, do not remove anything from the list; some people may still want to use the old system

1 Like

I agree, some projects still require the old system bound with the official benchmarks.
So it is better to have 3 systems, the old GGSR87 the new HEPOS/GGRS87 with the grid files and it would be nice to add the HTRS07/TM07 which is the latest system.

Hi guys,

I created a project in GGRS87 / Hepos with the Greece GREEKGEOID2010 height and noticed some lagging on our Android devices as well. I’ve passed all the information to the team for further investigation. If there’s any news or we need additional details from you, I’ll write back.

3 Likes

Dear vgo195, HTRS07/TM07 is already included in v. 6.3 of the ReachView 3 app :greece:

Thank you very much,

Kseniia,

your contribution is very important for many people working in Greece, who are already using or are interested in using ReachRs2 receivers

1 Like

Hey there,

We fixed the naming in the last ReachView 3 update.

The GGRS87 datum is now the target datum we got after the 7-parameters Helmert transformation (as was suggested by @e_kroustalis), and the GGRS87 Approx datum no longer exists to not mislead anyone.

1 Like

Hi,
I tested the latest RV3 with the GGRS87/HEPOS projections and the app froze while pressing the (+) button to record a point. I tried various combinations with and without the greek hepos geoid file. Sometimes it didn’t froze but certainly there is a bug. The coordinates are correct though compared to other apps like SurPad.

Hi @vgo195,

Thanks for sharing your observations! We are in the process of testing GGRS87/HEPOS as well. I’ll describe our results here.

Hi guys,

We’ve changed the transformation algorithm in one of the previous updates and made additional tests to check the freezing issue. Overall, everything looked well.

For now, we only faced short freezing during the project creation. If there’s a more serious lagging in your case, please check the background processes on your mobile device to ensure it’s not the root. If there are many opened apps, it can slow down the work with the CS.

Dear Kseniia,

thank you and your team for all your efforts!

I will test the app in the field tomorrow using my Samsung Tablet as a receiver (I had no problems with my Xiaomi Mi-8 Lite smartphone) and I will let you know about the results.

All the best

Vangelis Kroustalis

1 Like

Hi Vangelis,

I’m curious about how your test went! Have you collected points with GGRS87/HEPOS and the latest ReachView 3 version?

2 Likes

My apologies for my delayed answer, but I wanted to test the app thoroughly before writing anything more here.

Here is the thing: when I first tested the new firmware I was dissaponted. I worked with the following configuration:

1. I used a Xiaomi Mi-8 Lite smartphone with a sim card in it as a hotspot. Through this device I connected to a CORS network via NTRIP protocol, RTK.
  2. I connected a Samsung Galaxy Tablet T295 as a receiver. This device communicated with the ReachRS 2 unit via bluetooth, and with the Miaomi device through Wi-fi.
  3. The ReachView 3 app was configured to survey in Hepos/GGRS87/TM87 with orthometric heights in Greek Geoid 2010.

After having recorded the coordinates of a couple of points in the field, the receiver started disconecting all the time. I switched the sim card and I used the Samsung T295 as a hotspot and the Xiaomi M-8 Lite as a receiver, but the situation did not improve. However, I didn’t want to draw any hasty conclusions. As it turned out later, this malfunction had nothing to do with the ReachView3 app. It was rather due to the very high temperatures of that day (I live in Athens).

Meanwhile, I have tested again three more times the app according to the above configuration, in NTRIP and Base-Rover, and it has worked flawlessly.

So, congratulations!! You have made it!

I am only missing one minor functionality: when surveying in RTK with a Base-Rover configuration the positions of the Base and the Rover do not appear on the screen. I don’t have this problem when surveying in NTRIP

Survying at the harbour of ancient Salamis, with a pair of ReachRS2 units, and with the ReachView3 app…

6 Likes

Hi Vangelis,

My apologies for my delayed answer, but I wanted to test the app thoroughly before writing anything more here.

No worries! I agree it’s always better to test everything accurately to be sure of the results. And I’m happy to know you can work with Hepos/GGRS87/TM87 fine now!

I am only missing one minor functionality: when surveying in RTK with a Base-Rover configuration the positions of the Base and the Rover do not appear on the screen.

I believe we’ll figure it out as well. If no rover and base positions are shown in the Status tab, I’d suggest checking the following:

• The rover tracks several satellites and can calculate at least a Single solution
  • The base position in the Base mode tab is entered correctly and in the corresponding datum (HTRS07)
  • There’s a Receiving corrections status in the Corrections section on the rover

If this doesn’t help or you check the positions somewhere else, please share a screenshot with me.

Survying at the harbour of ancient Salamis, with a pair of ReachRS2 units, and with the ReachView3 app…

These photos deserve special thanks :smiley: The scenery is absolutely gorgeous!

4 Likes

Dear Kseniia,

thank you for your observations! Just a quick note about the Base-Rover issue:

I am only missing one minor functionality: when surveying in RTK with a Base-Rover configuration the positions of the Base and the Rover do not appear on the screen.

I believe we’ll figure it out as well. If no rover and base positions are shown in the Status tab, I’d suggest checking the following:

• The rover tracks several satellites and can calculate at least a Single solution
  • The base position in the Base mode tab is entered correctly and in the corresponding datum (HTRS07)
  • There’s a Receiving corrections status in the Corrections section on the rover

When I noticed this issue the Rover was getting a fixed solution with more than 30 satellites in view. However, it proved to be a transient issue; Yesterday, I surveyed once again with a Base-Rover configuration (via Lora in RTK) and the positions of both the Base and the Rover appeared on the tablet screen.

Thank you for your interest, anyway.

Vangelis

Hi Vangelis,

That’s good! Thanks for sharing the news. It’s exciting to see how your project goes :slight_smile:

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: App crashes when collecting points

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.