Help Needed for PPK Quality

Hi,
New to the group and having some issues getting a good Q status on the Rover.
We have he Rover mounted on a DJI M600P and the antenna is mounted on a copper (circuit board blank) directly on top of the M600 cover.
The Sony A5100 camera providing camera events to the Rover.
On the ground. status bars dont seem to get into the green very often but in PPK , most processed flights give a Q=1 regardless.

When processing the PPK data through RTKLIB, the Q = 2 (Float) on some occasions. Over the course of a dozen flights, about 80% would prove to have Q=2 but others good with Q=1

So my basic questions are 1) how can I improve my Q result and 2) does it affect accuracy?

I’ll post files when my "new user " status allows me to upload.

Regards all.

It would be best if you provided photos of the antenna/ground plane, antenna cable routing, and location of the Reach.

One of the common advices for flying Reach devices is to shield it.

3 Likes

mod action: You can upload files now.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply:)

Later that night I managed to dig up another module that we had purchased some time last year.
I connected it with the antenna elevated off the M600 fan cover and I could se better signal strength compared to the original M+ module. Now we get some green bars!
I am concluding that your advice is correct and that there are two issues, 1) the RF noise emmitted from that area affects signal strength and 2) the module has a poorer performance than the newer module.
I’ll be reflashing this module as it also dissapointingly drops logs now and then (apparently it was a issue a while back according to some forums). We wont be using it again untill the log issue is resolved. I may go for Rinex logging instead of UBX.
Will re fly soon and let you know:)

2 Likes

Elevation and shielding is key for these sensitive antennas!

On the M600, you have a fan located just under the cover. Probably very RF-noisy.
Also, you need to route the antenna underneath the ground plane, through a hole. Be careful that you don’t sharply bend the cable in the process. It should curve gently, as it passes through the hole.

1 Like

Do you have another receiver? When I do PPK, I would often deploy 2 base receivers and 2 rovers that are recording at 1 second intervals. When post processing, I would notice that for some epochs of the rovers that would return float solutions from 1 base may return a fix from the other base. This may be due to time when 1 or the other base/rover have bad reception. This scenario is to make sure that at least all epochs for the survey time are covered by one of the bases and rovers.

I concur. There is a marked improvement now it it on a mast .Feeling more confident that I’ll be getting Q=1 more reliably. Test flight to be done shortly!

Hi @paulchoppysoo,

Have you conducted a test flight with a new hardware setup?

Please, let us know about the results!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.