Height markings on prism pole

(edited) Maybe this is a total noob question. I just got my prism pole (Adirpro 750-14 from Tiger Supplies) to use for my Reach RS2 unit as a rover. I noticed that the height markings on the pole are exactly 14cm higher than the pole’s true height.

Is this normal? I’ll just have to remember to subtract 14cm from the displayed pole height. If it is normal, I’m curious about why it is designed like this.

Can you take a picture of it? It might have level grade marks.

Hmm, that’s a bit wierd…

I see 2 possibilities:

• Either made for a specific brand or model, and as such accounting for this directly on the scale.
  • Manufacturing-error.

Either way, contact the shop and ask.

It must be designed for some specific prism.
Maybe that’s why its called 750-14?
My prism pole also has a offset but it is adjustable so the reading of the pole is the actual prism height.

3 Likes

Hi Derek,

Indeed, it looks like your pole is designed for a specific prism. Such poles also should have a side mark that indicates the GPS height (the pole height) so that it’s easier to work with it.

5 Likes

Thats the conclusion to the matter then. I feel they should have made that clear in the product specifications. Oh well ill just subtract 14 cm from whats displayed. There are no alternate height markings on this one. Thanks.

You can’t return or exchange it? Do you have just one receiver?

Not worth the hassle. It was an international order.

Bear in mind, this is not a feature isolated to this brand but rather the norm. Leica mark their poles to work with their prisms, for example.

2 Likes

My pole is standard Trimble prism height difference of 135mm.
This happens to be the exact height difference of the RS2 receiver from BAM to ARP (as per IGS calibration). Considering this, it would be great if the Reachview software could have ARP as an option for height measurement of a rover then these poles could be utilised directly.
I have recently bought a quick-release extension to add to the pole and it is now correct height. Would also have been good if the Emlid extensions had an option of 135mm and not just 150mmm.

Hi @JCLS,

Welcome to the community forum!

Thank you for the suggestions. We’ll think about expanding our extension poles range.

Regarding the heights, ReachView 3 allows you to enter the pole height of the rover to which it automatically adds the difference between the unit’s bottom and the ARP. This makes it easier to work with different kinds of poles.

This is a great idea then we could read the height off the pole and then enter it directly in the software without having to apply a correction factor first.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.