GStreamer in Mission Planner HUD?

Has anyone managed to get a GStreamer video stream into the HUD in Mission Planner?

I’ve seen this post by @Bernt_Christian_Egel http://uavmatrix.com/Blog/13
but have not got this to work. I get a still image, but the video freezes. I feel this might work if I just had the right parameters.

I’ve also seen a blog post about building a separate HUD window:

But this does not use the HUD in Mission Planner, which I would like.

The only way I’ve been able to do it is by making a video device from a screen capturing of the Gstreamer window with XSplitBroadcaster. To do it I open a normal GStreamer video window on my second PC screen, then use XSplitBroadcaster to capture that window and create a new stream that becomes a video device in Mission Planner. This works, but is very clumsy.

Anyone with a better solution?

Hi Ole

I have looked for the same thing myself, but ended up using VLC, or Patrick Duffys version of gStreamer HUD. Btw, Im using VLC in this post http://uavmatrix.com/Blog/13

Michael Oborne recently added new feature in mission planner for VLC transcode.
Looking forward to see a gStreamer transcode script somewhere…, :slight_smile:

Hi Bernt!

ok, I’ll try some more with VLC and report how it goes.

Some questions:

Your example is using a USB camera, any reason it should not work with the RPi camera?

Can I simply replace your script on RPi with something like this:
raspivid -n -t 0 -rot 180 -w 960 -h 720 -fps 30 -b 2000000 -co 60 -sh 30 -sa 10 -o - | gst-launch-1.0 -e -vvvv fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay pt=96 config-interval=5 ! udpsink host=#LOCALIP# port=5000

Is the transcoding adding any significant latency?

Download and the MSI installer from this link. and run the installer
You should see a menu item called “GStreamer HUD” as shown below:

Select this menu GStreamer HUD

In the upper-left corner is a context menu. Here is where you enter your GStreamer Pipeline string

Here is an example string I used on my setup:
udpsrc port=9000 buffer-size=60000 ! application/x-rtp,encoding-name=H264,payload=96 ! rtph264depay ! h264parse ! queue ! avdec_h264

scipts raspberry

#!/bin/sh
raspivid -n -w 1280 -h 720 -b 1000000 -fps 15 -t 0 -o - | gst-launch-1.0 -v fdsrc ! h264parse ! rtph264pay config-interval=10 pt=96 ! udpsink host=192.168.1.150 port=9000

1 Like

I’ll have to try that. Looks very simple to set up.

I leave the link.
http://diydrones.com/profiles/blogs/how-to-setup-a-mission-planner-hd-video-hud-using-gstreamer-and

Ole,

Were you able to get the HUD and Video overlayed?

Hi, no, I’v not had time to try it…

I’m in the same boat now. Any luck getting this set up nicely?

Comment by Patrick Duffy on July 10, 2016 at 2:16am
FYI, there is a new version of the HUD on dropbox here:

This version of the HUD supports the latest verson of GStreamer, and also has bug-fixes and enchancements, such as controlling the Sony QX10 (or any Sony camera supporting the API) remotely, for recording and zoom. More camera types are supported where the color tables in the previous version had issues for non-H264 streams. You can now run MJPEG and raw streams with correct color balances.