Ground Datum Use

Yes, but say you survey an XYZ point/monument on the ground. Nathan then goes out with his Emlid and also surveys the point LLH. So at this point XYZ=LLH. But Nathan then corrects his location in PPK (but NAD83 base coordinate from CORS) than passes off his point to me to go stakeout at a later date. I setup my unit add my file to stakeout and go out to the site. I use the stakeout function to go to Nathan’s “point”. I arrive to his “point” but can clearly see the monument and I am at least 30cm away. Why?

They are all generally apples to apples describing the same point. True, what a surveyor is describing in XYZ can also be described in LLH. But when Nathan doesn’t transform the coordinate correctly his point now becomes an orange because my LLH would no longer match your XYZ.

Between your XYZ and Nathan’s LLH a transformation wouldn’t necessarily matter if it was just the two of you. But between my LLH and Nathan’s LLH a transformation matters entirely so I can match your XYZ. Else, something like this would occur: UNAVCO NTRIP epoch alignment problem

2 Likes