GNSS Antenna Cable Protection - Rodents

Hi all,

I have some reach units monitoring landslide deformation that are outside 24/7. The electronics are tucked in pelican cases. However, the gnss antenna cable is exposed and I’m having problems with rodents biting through them.

Has anyone used any braided shielding to help mitigate these issues? Any idea on if I can use metal cable braid without degrading the signal? Any other ideas? I assume the cable is properly shielded so it shouldn’t be a problem…

These are the Tallysman TW4721 antennae.

Thanks!
Austin M

Maybe some manure or grease or poison?

Fake rubber snakes? Or a picture of Hillary Clinton?

2 Likes

There should be no problem in doing that. The cable is already shielded under the rubber jacket. A second shield can only help.

I’m sure there are ways to add a second shield where it could be a detriment to the signal in a coax cable, but I can’t think of how it could affect you in this particular situation.

I think leaving the braid unterminated at both ends (floating) would be fine. Terminating at one end should also be fine.

If anyone has better insight on this, please comment.

3 Likes

How long is the cable run?

I would have thought that metallic Flexi conduit enclosing the full cable run, would be sufficient protection against the little blighters.

Not sure quad-shielded coax, for example, would do much really, other than encourage them to keep chewing. You really want them completely away from the outer cable sheath of at all possible.

1 Like

3 Likes

Thanks all. I was looking at the metal braided sleeves, but they are a bit more $$ than the conduit @DirtyHarry posted. I’ll go that route.

Best,
Austin M

3 Likes

The bare ends are very sharp, I’d recommend you finish the ends using a glanded nut arrangement.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.