Fun monument in California Bay Area

Hi All,
I found a great monument hidden in the Ca, Bay Area. It is right next to a ferry terminal by the water. I’ve been trying to take some measurements off of it to see if I can match the NGS sheet for the monument but I’ve had little success in getting accurate. I’m new to coordinate systems so I thought I’d post this for anyone interested could help out on how to transform the coords and get a match. Here is a link to the NGS datasheet…
https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ds_mark.prl?PidBox=DG6882
…As well, I am including my PPP solution (log time: 58min, 30sec)…Any input or advice is appreciated! (Edit: I should include, this point is located in a part of California that has a lot of seismic shift and probably doesn’t move with the North American plate exactly.)
ITRF14 (2022.1)
37° 44’ 10.73245"
-122° 15’ 23.65496"
-26.770 m (ellipsoid height)

3 Likes

Nice! This is why we do what we do.

3 Likes

I tried a couple different submissions through the NOAA hoizontal tool…

https://www.ngs.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/HTDP/htdp.prl?f1=3&f2=1

…but I couldn’t get anything to hit. We are right on the San Andreas fault and I know we have NAD83 realizations that are unique (I think we’re PA11).

2 Likes

I just learned about datums in relation plate tectonics, surveying is much more complicated than advertised.

2 Likes

So true. Its like Alice when she jumps down the rabbit hole after you have taken the red pill from the Matrix movie :sweat_smile:
No way no where do you get 1+1 to be 2… Its most likely 2, but sometimes closer to 1,59998. And thats not even true either.

6 Likes

Basically, as soon as we conquer Mt. Stupid, we find out how deep in the Valley of Despair we are, for geodesy.

6 Likes

Looks like a typical day to me. That first shot of coffee really gets you going.

3 Likes

Haha ja. hoping the momentum keeps you going rest of the day :laughing:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.