Field Genius with NTRIP

Good morning All! I will be testing a new NTRIP for the next two days and have reviewed the Reachview guide for setting up an NTRIP, but thought maybe someone had used NTRIP with FieldGenius (I use the Android version) that could provide a little advice. I have an email into their support, but just in case the couldn’t be definitive I thought this might be an even better place for practical use.

Thanks!

I am not quite following your question/statement. My guess is there is a NTRIP in FieldGenius that you are looking at using instead of the internal ReachView. Sorry, I don’t have FieldGenius.

Or are you asking how to use NTRIP in ReachView to feed FieldGenius? If NTRIP in ReachView it is easy follow their NTRIP guide and use mock locations on your android device with Lefebure NTRIP installed. I use this method with a Trimble App (WM-Survey II)
RS2 with NTRIP to Ohio CORS network via phone hotspot. RS2 sending data to tablet via BT. Tablet has Lefebure NTRIP running with mock locations enabled in the app and on the tablet. WM-Survey II is setup to use internal Android GPS (which in actuality it is using the RS2 because of mock locations.

If you want a more detailed explanation PM me.

BTW, the Lefebure NTRIP isn’t really doing anything accept the mock locations which feeds your Android the RS2 data.

Thanks for the response and information. According to MicroSurvey I should be able to configure and log in without having to use Reachview at all. Working through it with them and the ntrip provider now and will let you all know.

More than likely yes. That would be using Lefebure NTRIP still is my guess unless they have a built in NTRIP.

First time I setup my RS2/M2 I fed corrections to them via Lefebure NTRIP. I still had to use ReachView to configure either of them in regard to what constellations etc.

To do this with Leferbure it is a matter of setting up your CORS network info and connecting to the RS2 or M2 via BT. When doing this, Lefebure NTRIP was sending corrections to the RS2/M2 and feeding the Android GPS via mock locations.

I have been using Lance’s NTRIP App for almost 5 or 6 years now. I use it with Trimble Ag monitors to BT corrections in.

1 Like

Hi Michael,

Could you please specify what issues you have with feeding the stream from FieldGenius to Reach? We have a guide that explains how to configure FieldGenius to receive RTK corrections from a NTRIP caster and it’d be nice to understand at what step the difficulties happen.

1 Like

@polina.buriak, Thank you very much for this. That is a really old version of FieldGenius and from Windows Mobile. I am running the Android version of FG, but I get what you document is portraying.

So here’s my final verdict until I here back from my last set of questions to MicroSurvey and RTKNET…

It appears the method that works is to setup the RS2 in Reachview 3 as if you were going to use the NTRIP and survey there. I think the part MicroSurvey left out is that the RS2 had to be configured initially once in this manner and then I could open FieldGenius by itself in the future as long as the RS2 remained on the NTRIP that was configured and automatically connected to the hotspot I provided.

Once I got it connected I shut everything down and did a fresh boot from scratch including turning the hotspot off and back on. I only opened FieldGenius this time. Everything connected and I had a fix within a couple of minutes. I then went to stake out some of the points that I previous shot as tests and everything was within +/-0.08ft.

Now the downside was that the points I shot on the first run were from local benchmarks (one of them published with the city) that had been leveled through the site. The shot on the published benchmark was 0.35ft higher than what was published. All 5 shots included the errors were +/-0.50ft and the closest to being correct was 0.16ft.

@EBE111057, RTKNET was supplying NAD83 (2011) and NAVD88 and I was using GEOID 2012B in FieldGenius. Should I really be running 2018 or should I be trying to match what the survey from the construction plans used? Is there much difference?

1 Like

I’d try and match the construction survey if possible. If not, things would have to be readjusted and many times that in itself turns into scan of worms. Last project we did was trying to match another Surveyor’s data on a construction site. His data was like yours, didn’t match what he claimed he used. We ended up finding a couple BM’s and reference marks onsite he used and tying into his survey.

1 Like

Hi Michael,

Do I get it right that you can’t configure the NTRIP profile in FieldGenius on Android and share the corrections from the device to Reach via Bluetooth connection? In this case, in Correction Input you only need to configure the input via Bluetooth.

That’s true. Once the correct settings are on in the ReachView app, it should be possible to use them after the boot again without the need to access the unit.

I’m not sure I completely understand, but I found no reason to setup an additional profile in FieldGenius for NTRIP. I just setup the NTRIP connection in Reachview once and then used my existing FieldGenius profile from working with a local base. Corrections via Bluetooth and the FieldGenius profile set to “No RTK”.

Michael,

It seems like I messed it up a bit, sorry about that! I thought you had issues with establishing position output and correction input through Bluetooth simultaneously.

To sum up, Reach should keep the once-configured settings after reboot. You don’t have to access ReachView after that.

1 Like

Hey! I’m also an FGA user and have pretty much reached the same conclusion as you. At one point I did connect everything up with FG accessing the NTRIP and then sending that to the RS2 (set corrections input on RS2 to Bluetooth), but I found that I still ended up in ReachView anyway to enable logging at the beginning of a survey. Plus the status graph in RV is always a really good quick check that my corrections are coming in on all GNSS I have selected. So in the end I’ve found it’s easier to kick things off in RV and then move to FGA when I’m ready to begin.

1 Like

That’s a very good point. If you are in a scenario that you need to log or are doing straight PPK then you will have to go into Reachview no matter what. At least now we can start logging from Reachview 3 so that’s handy.

1 Like

Is starting off in RV and switching over to FGA is not a big hassle. I am looking to pull the trigger on FGA a base/rover RS2 kit in spring.

It’s not much of a hassle at all. Once Reachview is setup for your specific use then there is very little to manage in there except for local base coordinates. Once the fix is establish then open FGA and survey away. That is with a base and rover, but this thread is about a rover with NTRIP specifically so none of this applies.

Thanks for the insight.

Hi
I have been using FG (on windows tablet) paired with RS2 and using NTRIP as a correction input.
It works excellent!
The first scenario is ROVER (or 2 rovers as I have 2 RS2 units) connection to the CORS network base using NTRIP, and the second is using 2x RS2 (BASE and ROVER) and emlid.caster.com to cast correction over the internet from RS2 BASE to RS2 ROVER.

Anyhow with Reach View 3, you can save NTRIP profiles and easily switch the NTRIP connection from CORS to my BASE.

Although you can configure the NTRIP link in FG, I found that configuring it inside RS2 (Reach View) works better for me, but it probably because of my old win8.1 tablet/controller (I sometimes have problems with WiFi on my tablet so I don’t receive correction over the internet. The controller is connected to internet trough HotSpot on my android phone).

For ROVER, all you have to do is to set:
correction input = NTRIP
position streaming = Bluetooth
and of course, BT = ON)

and if you use your base then:
Base mode correction output = NTRIP (user, password, etc from your emlid.caster account)

If you want to configure NTRIP for the rover in FG then set:
correction input = BT (it will receive NTRIP correction from FG controller)
position output = BT
and of course, BT = ON

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.