Feature Request

I have another feature request for more easy land mark mapping:

future use:
As I want to use Reach as a landmark mapping device I will mount it in a stick and walk around with it. Then I put the receive to a certain location and press the button for some time (maybe 10sec). I would expect averaging the position in this time and store the solution location in a gpx file.

So the feature request is:

• average location during the time the operater press the shutter/ flash button. I assume this is a switch on the GPIO pin
  • store the solution in a gpx file
  • store the solution and not the raw data

What do you think?

best regards
Franz

For us using reach fit post processing something like that could be handy but definitely also storing raw. Maybe this at two different features, which could be combined:

• start/stop via flash button
  • single solution averaging

Single solution averaging does not increase accuracy, so I do not see real reasons to have it.

You can set Reach to static mode and log position to pos file in NMEA or LLH. Just press stop/start on new point to create new log.

Maybe that will come in the future.

We already can store both.

Dear Igor,

I do not want to average single solution. I hope that reach will have float of fix and can average float of fix for better performance.
Additionally the “stick” is handled by a human. So It is not perfectly stable. I think that a human will vary the GNSS sensor by some cm. So an averaging will mainly improve the human interaction duringy logging a point.

To press stop start is an option but it requires smartphone interaction. This is not optimal. I think i should make a short description of how this should be for the operator:

operator is equipeed with a 2m stick. On the top is a GNSS antenna. On the side is the reach and the battery and the wire less connection to the base and a buton.
The operator walk to the landmark (tree, building, bridge,…) and press the button for some second to average the inaccurate positioning by hand.
Then the operator walks to the next land mark to make the next measruement
At the end to GPX with the stored landmark positions is send to the notebook. The opeator uses qgis or other gis software to map or process the data.

with best regards
Franz

The operator walk to the landmark (tree, building, bridge,…) and press
the button for some second to average the inaccurate positioning by
hand.

This can easily be accomplished using a Raspberry or Arduino with minimal scripting and a data logger shield. You can make as simple or complex as needed.

A raspberry or arduino would be redundant as the Edison on the Reach can do any calculating necessary. The Reach can also be integrated with a button as well. I came on tonight to find out how to do much the same as @Franz_Helmli. I’ll have to try the static setting. Will I be able to take 10-30 second readings with the Reach at each of of my points using this method? Is this how other people use Reach to get Ground Control Points for their projects?

at eric:
I also think that this task has to be performed by the intel edison controller itself.

ad cndnflyr:
I see to tasks for people that do land surveyor.

Task 1 is to locate a specific location. This can easily done be looking on the smartphone or tablet and search for the location.

The other tasks is to map point and bring them into a GIS software (arcgis or qgis). In this case the task is to get a waypoint file and not a track. So this means averaging over a small time.

Keep in mind that it is a moving rover but for some time it is fixed at a position. It would be not good start the reach module and wait unit it gets from single to float or fix and than do an averaging. I think it must be in float or fix most of the time. After the land surveyor is at a position he press the button for some time and then go to the next position. I estimate that one would expect the following time needed:
setup for base: 30min
log point: 20-30 point per hour.

sometimes it is also very helpful to get a track. but I think this is already solved by the reach system,

thank you and best regards

I only pointed out using an arduino/raspberry because instead of waiting for this feature to be added on Emlids schedule you can set this up your self in a matter of hours and get on with usage in the field. Yes it would be total redundant of the capabilities in the Edison but at present you can not get to what you want. Just offered a relatively intimidate/temporary solution

It would be great to be able to see the battery level of the base from the rover.

We do a lot of jobs where we have the base setup for days/weeks (which external battery) and can be kilometres away from where we are using the rover.