Feature Request: Imperial Units

United States general contractor looking for imperial units without having to transform through QGIS so that data collected can be more easily be transmitted and coordinated with design CAD information.

3 Likes

Isn’t it about time that the US got away from the imperial units anyhow, and joined the rest of the World? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Actually, I agree. I came from an AutoCAD background and was a land surveyor for about 5 years and now I do both for a general contractor. I started a drone program about 18 months ago so metric would make things allot easier. Unfortunately the United States survey Community doesn’t agree and to top that off there’s about 300 different EPSG’s in the United States!

1 Like

Michael,

Thanks for the feature request!

In the meantime, if you need to work in imperial units the best way is to use external GIS apps for Android that allow to switch the units.

2 Likes

or 3rd party data collectors and survey software as it’s always been anyways.

FieldGenius, Layout, SurvCE/PC, Survey Pro, Topcon MAGNET Layout, Leica, Trimble etc.

1 Like

uh, yeah, as what Michael said. “NEVER” going to happen, if it seems easier or not. Just the way it is and really nothing wrong with it at all for us here in the USA. If anything, I’d hate to use METRIC anyways. Imperial is what I am just used to and so are many registered surveyors, engineers, etc etc. Just one of the many differences of the USA and the rest of the world… you don’t necessarily have to do what the rest does just because.

Just one of those things that will never change here in the GOOD 'OL US of A! And proud of it! … way too much established over many years of using the imperial system here. It would be like us asking the rest of the world to change from metric to imperial? : /

I have magnet and pocket 3D to all go through the form to see about getting one of those hooked up. The main thing with the u. S. Feet is being able to do a local coordinate system. State plane is easily converted from wgs84, but a typical scenario that we run into quite often is that the cad file and coordinate system for the job is not actually on state plane. It’s either way off, or close and almost confuses you unless you’re paying attention.

1 Like

So should they account for that in the CAD file before handing over to you?

Curious, what is the benefit of using a State Plane coordinate system rather than just a NAD83 / UTM Zone coordinate system?

Well, I understand the benefit of using State Plane, I.e. tall or wide states. But I guess why not use NAD83 / UTM zone like most?
You can even change from LLH to UTM Zone in GoogleEarth in the preferences if need be. State Plane isn’t supported and doesn’t appear to be for most except for survey software mentioned above of course.

It’s mostly the Surveyors and Engineers that push the state plane coordinates. Our area is split between two of the zones, but more importantly we get CAD files that are not on any true coordinate system. Getting them to do that and change they’re CAD files and all of the support CAD files that they designed off of is not going to happen. Or at least it hasn’t in the 15 years that I’ve been dealing with them.

1 Like

HA! That’s what I figured! ; )

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.