Feature Request - Display and logging in UTM coords

The conversion from LLH to UTM coordinates is dead simple, and the formulae published many times over. Could we have the the status screen display UTM coordinates as an option?, and UTM logging as an option?

3 Likes

Many requests for this on the forum, but nevertheless still highly relevant! :smiley:

2 Likes

I would just think that GNSS gear that wants to be taken seriously would have the option. It’s not like grid coordinates are an oddity or something. They’re pretty popular in survey-land.

3 Likes

Completely agree, but Emlid listen to their customer, and the distance from developer and product owners to customer is very short indeed, so fingers crossed.

In my case I need UTM coordinates to feed my total station, without having to use an app to convert. too many sources of potential error…

3 Likes

I also would highly appreciate the UTM output format. Like Christian I use the Reach RS+ for surveying in combination with an optical total station. The UTM format is very common for surveying tasks. For every resection of the TS at least three coordinates need to be converted manually, which is quite uncomfortable, time consuming and error-prone.

Uli

2 Likes

Thanks for your request, @wsurvey :slightly_smiling_face:
This will be a part of our future releases.

3 Likes

I created this request on the ReachView Github repo a couple weeks ago.
Please add this capability! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It would greatly be appreciated !! even for a new REACH RS2…

2 Likes

A must, NAD83(CSRS) datum support and UTM coordinates are my daily go-to. Professionals will need additional detail in reference epoch (a static timestamp reference of the regional grid). Most GIS users generally don’t really care about the epoch but if you want to exploit the centimeter precision you might as well be knowledgeable of the evolving state of reference grids.

It would be great if they could integrate the codes of the EPSG Geodetic Parameter Registry
(https://www.epsg-registry.org/)

Most reasonable mapping/survey apps on the Playstore have this capability.

4 Likes

Yeah, now that the Reach RS2 is SERIOUS BUSINESS, the software must also be! ; )

If not, that is what will still let Trimble, Leica, etc have the edge. UTM coordinate systems, localization, offset measuring, Rotate, Translate, Scale features, etc are just among the “MUST HAVES”. (most of this! FieldGenius Movies - Powered by Kayako Help Desk Software)

You can kind of compare it to the automobile body shop business… cannot just paint the cars and make them pretty, must also do the hard tedious body work first!

i.e. can’t have one without the other!

4 Likes

Unfortunately that is the older, open-source ReachView v0.4.8 last updated 3 years ago, so your issue may not be solved there.

BUT, Emlid is well aware that most everyone desires CRS transformations for UTM, etc. to be included in ReachView. So I don’t think that any of these requests have gone unnoticed.

4 Likes

I am topographer, I have the RS + base and Rover, and sincerely if emlid takes into account the UTM option, I would have to acquire the RS2 base and Rover, good job to the whole team of emlid

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.