Extra waterproofing Reach RS2 for working in the rain

Context:
First of all, I know that the device is waterproof and I have used it a few times in the rain. We are doing a project that requires us to perform static occupations of multiple points over a duration of roughly 15 - 20 days. It is starting to rain regularly which means either

1. Trusting the device as it is to withstand the rain
  2. Stopping the survey whenever it rains or drizzles in either base or rover stations; prolonging the timeline and cost by at least a week or
  3. Find a new solution to waterproof it

Issue:
The simplest method that comes to mind is covering the device with a thin sheet of transparent durable plastic. But I don’t know if it will cause problems with signal strength, interference etc. I haven’t tested the difference of doing that yet which I will share after I have made the test and comparisons. I was wondering if anyone here has done similar tests before and knows what works and what doesn’t. If you have any ideas, please share them. And again, despite the device being waterproof, any solutions would help, even if just for peace of mind.

1 Like

Honestly it may sound janky but the thin plastic bags you get from some grocery stores work great. Especially if you are in a warm climate. Recycle!

3 Likes

IP67 means the unit can be dropped into a body of water up to a meter deep for half an hour

1m submergence that’s 9.81kpa (1.42psi) of pressure forcing the water in.

But i still get it, I am with @michaelL a ziploc or produce bag. I think the only thing would make sure there is no water pooling, at least not anymore than would sit in the emlid letters without cover.

2 Likes

I have not covered my receivers with a plastic bag. Maybe you can set up an rtk session with a zip-lock bag over the receiver and see if it still gets repeated fix signals with acceptable variations.

1 Like

Plastic bags will work: for perfection, make sure they aren’t infused with carbon… as it will minimally affect the signal.

Some of the best stuff is Polyurethane Foam, as it is a dielectric material, and therefore has a nearly 0 loss tangent. (for waterproofing, make sure it is closed-cell). That’s pretty geeky though.
If you make a clamshell out of it, you also get damage protection.
Final bonus: not many are likely to steal a foam ball by the side of the road… :wink:

5 Likes

This always blows my mind. Has anyone found their stolen gear after it starts reporting back to vrs?

It also makes me think that a guy could start a company making novelty stealth anti theft base stands, that look like rocks, stumps, cactus, telephone box or even a cow.

2 Likes

Heh, that would be fun: a cow base station :stuck_out_tongue:
Only trouble would be hauling 3-8 of them around for proper static networks or simultaneous occupations :smiley:

The legs are always the giveaway for survey gear, but it is hard to get around the design.
Insurance is usually required in any case, so it goes on the premium (sadly).

I have definitely heard of equipment being stolen, tracked and recovered using onboard transmissions… absolutely.

2 Likes

Nothing to see here, just a base station!

4 Likes

Hi Prabin,

Reach RS2 units are designed to be able to work as permanent base stations. They are water- and dustproof on the IP67 standard, so they can withstand harsh weather conditions. You may check the case study in which Reach RS2 was successfully used as a base station throughout the wet season.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.