Establish Point via NTRIP then broadcast corrections

So, a conversation going on elsewhere about the workflow of establishing a Known Point via NTRIP connection with the RS2 acting as a Rover. And, then using that point to send corrections from the RS2 acting as the Base via Emlid Caster to the drone (via hotspot) .

It is correct that you change the RS2 Base Mode to Manual and enter the coordinates of the new Known Point? Or, do you leave the Base Mode in Average FIX Mode?

In other words, the RS2 does not do both receive NTRIP corrections via and NTRIP Caster and then broadcast it’s own corrections over Emlid Caster at the same time, correct?

Reachview3 does not really indicate it can’t do both at the same time.

Thanks.

3 Likes

You got it! I usually just make a document with the coordinates pasted in so that that I can copy and paste them back into base mode.

I have seen mention of people sending corrections to the base while casting to a rover but I never understood why.

5 Likes

Is the RS2 actually even capable of receiving NTRIP corrections via an NTRIP service AND broadcasting corrections to Emlid Caster (or Local NTRIP) at the same time? It doesn’t seem like it should be possible but RV3 doesn’t really indicated that the simultaneous connections are not actually happening either.

1 Like

You know what, I think the scenario is actually that they are receiving NTRIP corrections and sending Lora…

EDIT:
Chatted and it was NTRIP Averaged Fix and Emlid Caster to the drone in this case.

2 Likes

Hi Dave,

Reach RS2 can receive corrections via NTRIP and broadcast them simultaneously. If something isn’t possible, ReachView 3 won’t allow you to do that. For example, you can’t use Lora for input and output at the same time, and ReachView 3 will tell you about that.

But you don’t really need to keep the base connected to NTRIP in Average FIX mode. As Michael said, just write averaged coordinates down, and enter them in Manual mode.

2 Likes

And just wanted to add that we know this process requires some additional actions from the user’s side now. So, we’re going to rework it in the future :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

If the system is capable of receiving corrections on an NTRIP service and then broadcasting corrections to Emlid Caster at the same time, that is good to know. No manual coordinate typing needed. I guess the benefit of copying the coordinate and then entering it into the Manual setting and turning off the inbound NTRIP is that you would eliminate the potential for the inbound correction link to fail in the middle of a drone flight.

Thank you Svetlana.

2 Likes

That sounds interesting… :clap:

1 Like

I agree with the stability of a local base in certain situations. Baseline is everything. I just got off two jobs this morning and the first when was in an area where it kept switching from 5G to 4G so I had to keep an eye on the drone. First time I have seen it and luckily I happened to be looking at the RC and was able to hit pause and wait for it to fix again. It took about 30 seconds then I could resume. I just looked at the images in Geosetter and the shots in question where still aligned correctly and the elevations were close but we will see in the processing report the movement of them.

2 Likes

Just a small note: Reach doesn’t re-transmit corrections from the NTRIP service. It transmits its own.

In cases like yours, the main benefit of using Manual mode is that you can save traffic.

1 Like

Understood. It is based upon the coordinate showing on the status page, correct? That is the coordinate that would be copied to the Manual setting?

1 Like

No, you should copy the coordinates that were averaged in Average Fix mode. In the Base mode tab, I mean.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.