Ended with random error messages by disconnecting telemetry

Hi
Just to share some interesting info on troubleshooting my Navio 2
It has been several months I am encountering random error messages like “Pos. Vert Variance” / “Bad AHRS” / “Bad baro health” / “bad compass health” / no 3D FIX etc.
Every flight was generating a new error message and my APM was behaving in a very unpredictable manner.

I finally found out that by disconnecting my 3DR Telemetry my APM was finally working just great.
The issue is coming back everytime I plug it through USB or UART (same immediate effect…)
I wonder if this would be coming from EMI … Nevertheless I shielded my Navio 2 case with copper plate and this had no effect on this issue.
Can someone tell me what I can do against this?
I will try 4G broadcasting / VPN instead for telemetry and video streaming. Are there some standard installs? I would like to pick some simple and robust set-up if any.

If someone could have adviced it to me I would have won easily 1 month troubleshooting (I can only fly short times during week end… )

So, maybe a new troubleshoot to be tried if ever you encounter difficulties arming your Navio

Thanks for the community for the positive feedbacks to all my questions in my previous message :slight_smile:
Guillaume

Hi,

Maybe the problem is in the radio itself? have you tried a different one?

Unfortunately I only have 1 pair of 433 Mhz telemetry
I use the 500mW model, this might be too powerful and EMI disturbing
Here is the link in hobbyking http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__76950__HKPilot_500mW_Transceiver_Telemetry_Radio_Set_V2_433Mhz_.html

I strongly advice not to combine with Navio ! Or maybe someone can tell the opposite and it must be a single case issue…
Guillaume

You can try to reduce the TX power through the 3drradio config screen in missionplanner.

Hello Sebastian, thanks for the advice.
I must be somehow blind because I didn’t find any config screen of this kind in mission planner.
Where is it supposed to be? “initial setup” or “config/tuning”. I lookg into all basic/standard/advanced parameters but I must have missed something.

thanks for the advice, I’ll let you know if this is solving the issue
Guillaume

It should be under “Initial Setup”, “Optional Hardware”. Something like “SiK Radio”.

1 Like

ok great I found it and divided the TX power by 2 (down to 11 instead of 20)
It seems to work better now, let’s see the performance in the field.
Thanks Sebastian, always there when needed!
Guillaume