Emlid Studio with Polaris S100

Hi there,
I am hoping that someone will be able to help me with processing some PPK observations that I took yesterday. I have been able to process them but am unable to obtain a fix, only float per the screenshot below:

I am using a polaris S100 receiver, and created log files using their Polaris Connect app (basically a start and stop recording option. Here are some details about hte receiver:

In order to process the files, I am using the procedure outlined in this blog post, but then post processing in Emlid Studio as opposed to the online service outlined in the blog: How to Work with Online PPP Service

The survey procedure was pretty simple, where I logged the aquisition of 5 ground control points, for a little over a minute each, as well as my walking between measured points.

My intent is to post process this information against ADEL, being a base in the Oregon Realtime Network that has freely available rinex data.

I am using the generated obs file from my rober, processed against the obs and nav files from the base station (ALL BELOW)

The following files are available at the following link:

  1. Rover-2024-05-20-20_00_49.rtcm (Raw logs from receiver)
  2. Rover-2024-05-20-20_00_49.obs (Converted using RTKlib Demo5_b34b, per blog post above)
  3. adel141u.24o (Base Observation file, within appropriate timeframe)
  4. adel141u.24n (Base navigation file)
  5. SPRA141u.obs (Backup base obs file)
  6. SPRA141u_gps.nav (Backup base nav file)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QNjYfN9TCB2DCp4tKRQrY_tJo6siiZEP?usp=sharing

Would anyone let me know where I am going wrong, or what might fix this in the future? Many thinks for your help!

Hi chmellor,

Almost 100% FIX w/ TOPAZ PPK w/ default settings:

topaz_GGA_1362.log (40.7 KB)
topaz_CSV_1362.log (90.8 KB)



002

2 Likes

This is great, thanks for your help!! I will def give Topaz a deep dive.
Thanks again!

Hi @chmellor,

I’m trying to access the files, but they were already deleted. Could you please send the files to us at support@emlid.com so I can look at the data? Thank you!

3 Likes

Hi Ruth, apologies, I totally did delete the folder! I just restored it so the files should be available again. Thanks for looking into this!
For reference, I was acually using a base that was pretty far away from the site, so the correct base file should be MTCL141u*.*

Thanks again!

Hi @chmellor,

It seems like an issue with the base correction file. I couldn’t get a FIX using the base files except for the MTCL141 base.

I used the Combined Filter type and got 99.9% FIX.

1 Like

That makes sense, I mistakenly choase other bases that were just too far away – thanks again for your help Ruth!!

2 Likes

No worries at all. Please feel free to email us at support@emlid.com if you have questions or encounter issues. :slight_smile: