Emlid RS3 base and Topcon rover workflow

Hi I am looking to buy a RS3 to use as a base for my topcon rovers, but before i do i want to know how you guys are successful in doing this. i’ve read lots of older forums and i have and idea on how to do it but i’m looking for a simple solution. What is the latest and best way for an RS3 to act as a base and send the right msgs over ntrip to fully unlocked topcon rovers for RTK. I can give more info if needed, thanks!

Hi Conner,

Welcome to our forum!

You can use our free Emlid NTRIP Caster for this. Both base and rover should connect to the internet, and you need to assign your Caster’s account credentials to them. Reach RS3 connects to the internet via a SIM card or a mobile hotspot. Feel free to read our guide explaining the setup.

With the free Caster version, you can connect up to 10 Topcon rovers.

As for RTCM3 messages, Topcon receivers may require some legacy messages as shown below:

Could you please also share which Topcon units you’re planning to use? How many of them will receive RTK corrections from the Reach RS3 base? Do they support the RTCM3 messages listed above?

I have a Hiper sr and GR-i3. I use the pocket 3d software to configure them. Yes I do think they take those rtcm msgs. I can’t find what supported Input it take but I can find an output. I want to try the Legacy method and the newer method for new Topcon devices. I use a topcon base hiper v as a base or Topcon live service over ntrip for corrections. I want to be able to just use the rs3 for ether topcon rover. Thanks

Here is more information about my Topcon hiper sr rover.

1 Like

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed info!

Since these receivers support the NTRIP protocol, they should work seamlessly with the Reach RS3 base via Caster.

2 Likes