Emlid RS2 with new DJI Mavic 3E RTK

My new Mavic 3 E arrived yesterday and I have been spending some time trying to get it set up. I have a simple question that I need some help understanding.

What is the best way to connect the RS2 with the Mavic 3E RTK? Is it thru Emlid Caster or Local NTRIP on the RS2?

Right now I have both the controller and the RS2 connected vie Hotspot to my apple device. Im then going thru Emlid Caster to connect the two. When I look at the controller, I see the drones positioning coordinates on the controller and they move up and down as expected. When I look at the RTK correction that display on the same controller, the coordinates are static. They don’t change. I have to assume it is connected because when I go to Emlid Casters website, it shows they are both online. (Maybee this is totally normal?)

The bigger issue is the position says single solution and never changes to fixed? AM I missing some setting?

1 Like

Hi Chris,

What is your workflow?
Are you setting up the RS2 on a known point, or creating a point by averaging?
Are you setting up the RS2’s base settings correctly?

If you are operating the drone right next to the RS2, then either is fine. I would use Local for simplicity.

Are you referring to the RS2 or the M3E? The RS2 acting as a base will always be Single unless it is receiving corrections from another gnss. If the RS2 is set up correctly as the base, and the M3E is receiving the corrections via Local or Caster, then it should resolve to a FIX solution. The RS2 will still be Single.

1 Like

Dave, Thanks for the quick response.

What is my workflow?
I have not taken it out in the field yet but typically I will be on a job site and will not have a known point. Im going to try and set it up early and let it run to get some data to run thru the OPUS website. I am new to this :slight_smile:

I believe I have the base set up correctly but I might not? I also use the RS2 as a rover to get GCP coordinates. I have typically used the CORS network data along with EMLID studio to get my PPK corrections on my GCP’s

The bigger issue is the position says single solution and never changes to fixed? AM I missing some setting?
You mention:
Are you referring to the RS2 or the M3E? The RS2 acting as a base will always be Single unless it is receiving corrections from another gnss. If the RS2 is set up correctly as the base, and the M3E is receiving the corrections via Local or Caster, then it should resolve to a FIX solution. The RS2 will still be Single.

Reach View says single and the Mavic 3E controller also says single. In the RTK menu on the controller it has the aircrafts coordinates listed. Above that it says single and i believe it should say fixed.

Maybee i just need to try the the LOCAL NTRIP solution to see how this compares.

Thanks

To provide corrections to the drone, an “Averaged Single” point would be sufficient generally. In the RS2 base settings is where you set that up. Select at least 5 minutes in an open area and longer if not as open. The RS2 will resolve a coordinate based upon the time you selected.

Then in the RS2 base output, you select Local NTRIP (or Emlid Caster if that is what you want to use). If using Local, then your smart device running RV3, the RS2 and the M3E must all be connected to the same network (hotspot).

If using Local, you enter the NTRIP login credentials as specified in RV3 into the Custom NTRIP dialog on the drone. Note that when using Local, pay attention to the IP address as it can be slightly different every time you set up.

If you have all of that set correctly, the drone will report that it is connected and will go from Single to Float to Fix.

2 Likes

I have been unable to confirm that M3E stores raw GNSS data for post-processing. Can you confirm if the raw data is available?

Someone on YouTube shared the RTK capability and it does generate the typ. rinex and mrk files.

3 Likes

and here from the horses mouth: DJI Mavic 3 Enterprise Series: Everything You Need To Know - YouTube

1 Like

I have not had the opportunity do take it to a job site. I will try and test this out tomorrow.

1 Like
4 Likes

To provide corrections to the drone, an “Averaged Single” point would be sufficient generally. In the RS2 base settings is where you set that up. Select at least 5 minutes in an open area and longer if not as open. The RS2 will resolve a coordinate based upon the time you selected.

Dave, Can you tell me where this option is located in the Reach app? Thanks!

Connect to the base.

On the Receivers screen, tap Base settings.

To configure base settings, tap the Configure button.

Select Average SINGLE as the base coordinates entry method and set averaging time. Tap Save.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

Agree with Dave on it. Both options should work fine. But using Local NTRIP has a small benefit—it doesn’t require an Internet connection on your worksite.

Fix or Float solution status mean that the unit receives the corrections. So I can also second Dave’s thought here: if your base doesn’t get the corrections in real-time, it should be in Single.

But talking about the rover, if you pass corrections to it via Emlid Caster or Local NTRIP, it should be in Float or Fix. Since you see Single only for a drone, it means that corrections flow wasn’t applied. And that what requires a more thorough look.

How are your Local NTRIP tests? I see Dave shared a detailed workflow with you. And here is also our guide that can help you with it.

P.S. If you need more info on placing the base, feel free to take a look at this article.

P.P.S. Guys, thanks for your discussion here! Glad to see such a lively thread.

3 Likes

Nice comparison and nice dataset! I was looking for something like that!
It seems that Mavic 3E IS the P4RTK killer as some say!

2 Likes

Hi!
I would like to ask the owners of Mavic 3E a few things.
Does the M3E store timestamps if you fly manually?
Does it support terrain awareness in linear mapping?
What is the maximum drone speed in rtk mode that can give ‘cm’ level results? Is it 5m/s or more?
After finishing a mapping mission can you take some extra manual photos before landing?
At last but not least does M2 work in Local Base mode with Mavic 3E?
Thanks in advance.

Hi @vgo195,

I don’t have DJI Mavic 3E RTK. But I think I can share some comments from my side on your last question.

Reach M2 is multi-band and supports the Local NTRIP feature. So it should work well as a base for DJI RTK drones. All the integration steps should be similar to the Reach RS2+ integration with DJI Phantom 4 RTK.

Still, it may be a bit tricky to set it up with Reach M2 since the module doesn’t have a mount thread to be placed over a tripod and requires an external power source. Because of that, for such integrations, we usually recommend field-ready Reach RS2+.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.