Emlid Reach RX and ReachView 3 - 2 minute average point survey

Hello everyone.
I am thinking to buy the Emlid Reach RX and using it with Reach View3.

My question is, can I take point survey of 2 minute average?

Measuring a point for 2 minutes and making an average of it.

Thank you very much

Definitely !

This is a feature that already exists in the ReachView app. You can easily setup the time of averaging. In your case, just put it on 2 minutes, and start surveying :wink:

3 Likes

Hi @istvan.kondra,

Just in addition to Florian’s words, the guide about collecting points with ReachView 3. It shows more features we already have.

1 Like

Hello everyone,

Can you please describe the procedure of the averaging process?
Are there measures to exclude points significantly deviating from the rest of the samples?

Many thanks in advance.

Buddy

1 Like

Hi Buddy,

You can turn on the FIX only toggle in the Collector settings. This way, only centimeter-accurate solutions will be averaged.

2 Likes

Hi Svetlana,

Many thanks for your answer.

The FIX setting (and the cm precision connected) is clear to me.

I just wanted to know, if within the centimeter range there is a process to exclude ‘stray’ samples in order to further enhance the accuracy.

Kind Regards

Buddy

There wouldn’t really be any “stray” samples (observations) if in RTK fix. I see what you are getting at but it doesn’t really apply here. If you were in RTK FLOAT mode (or single), those could be filtered out in post. It’s a fair assumption that your data is 1-2cm always in RTK FIX unless the base was setup incorrectly (HI bust, bad GNSS environment [multipath], incorrect manual base position entered, etc.). I guess if there were a space weather event (i.e. solar flare) while you were observing, that could cause some issues.

1 Like

That would be nice if true but you will get erroneous fixes from time to time. I have had some up to a meter away. Its rare but does happen. Never trust a single fix. Always reintialuze and observe a few hours apart on critical items

1 Like

Sure. Fair point. Anomalies can happen. Check against published 1st order control! :slight_smile:

Or post process with short length baselines. I use two M2’s as a fixed static baseline if I’m on large boundary surveys. I use my Javad Victor/LS combo as a rover with the state’s RTN while locating features. On any rover point located, I have a closed polygon (triangle) that I can post process if I lose cell coverage for the RTN. Most of my baselines are less than 1-2 km.

For example, locating the center of creeks or wet/dry branches is when I mostly post process. I also post process property corner locations when in high multi-path areas. Using this method, I can keep my occupation times to a minimum and know the true accuracy of a located point. I often post process all positions (RTN and static) and have excellent closures. Closures usually exceed 1: 200 000 for both horizontal and vertical. Occupation times for static positions in high multi-path areas with short baselines vary but are usually less than 5 minutes depending on baseline lengths and the accuracy needed.

I use commercial post processing software (Javad Justin 3). Using short onsite baselines and closed loops, I’m confident in all my locations. They are a surveyors best friend.

3 Likes

That’s a no go with Reach RX though.

2 Likes

Yep, I forgot about that ! Maybe one day you’ll be able to store raw data on the RX… for an additional fee.

I find it difficult to believe that Emlid didn’t plan on this as being an option. Perhaps, maybe, you never know.

1 Like

By far most people that will buy into the RX won’t need the post-processing option.
The lack of complex hardware is also (partially) why the RX can boot and fix so fast from a cold-start.

2 Likes