Emlid NMEA to TSIP Converter

I received my RFD900+ radios (2 of them). I am happy to report, they do connect with my cheap 3DR radios. This does make me happy as I can use the RFD on the base as it has a 1W output and a 3DR on the rover.

Now I need to start messing with some of my buck converters. I will need one at the rover to power the 3DR radio from the FMX port D which will also be the RTCM3 in for the monitor. The other (or maybe 2 of them) will be at the base to power the M2 and RFD900+. I am looking at using rechargeable AA batteries for the power source. I am also looking at possibly doing a solar panel charge/power supply. I want to put everything in a project box so it is a clean easy setup.

My initial “project box” is going to be a piece of 5" PVC that I currently have.

Back to “tinkering”

1 Like

Sounds like a good project, good to know those radios can talk to each other.

I have ordered all of the AG OPEN GPS parts, wish me luck lol

1 Like

Project update

So I have been able to parse the data out of UBX and have learned all about the fun of Endian, Big and Little and IEEE 754. This has been a bit of a fight because the Ublox library does not seem to work on DUE.

In the pursuit of parsing I finally learned the basics of writing functions in C. And all the fun of parsing the exact same data like GPS time, multiple times on a fast processor.

So once the data was cozy in some easy to grab local public registers that I could read and verify it was time to start building output messages. There are 5 TSIP messages that broadcast no matter what. So I picked the PPS signal. That’s where the easy project wheels fell off yet again.

So in order to transfer my new integer data… They have to be converted yet again floating point singles or doubles. Lucky I went right to the DUE its the only Arduino that has a hope of tackling doubles. It turns out this is no simple task, especially if you want to output the data as a Raw Float or Double.

So I had to learn a new trick called “union” that ties two variable types to the same memory space. This worked but then i have to swap endian order yet again. Now exactly one register value has crossed over as usable.

Once the rest are figured out, I am hoping to test that the Ez 250 will be able to use these 5 sentences for guidance, without any two way communication needed. It will still take the 252 receiver to do the initial handshake and swap after.

But there still is more hill left to go, but i am still going up it! It would be really cool to cut the grass with a 250 or 500 this upcoming summer.

2 Likes

This project is really starting to use a vast amount of UBX on the F9p.
Does not use NMEA at all anymore either.
So I have decided to close this thread.

I will be moving new updates of this topic to the AG OPEN GPS forum.

I will still be in this community to help with farmers questions about EMLID and RTK, and help with comms issues. Its been a blast, before using EMLID M+ I knew nothing about RTK, NMEA, programming C, the true meaning of SBAS, or how much fun finding a single point on a map was!

Also this summer I will undoubtedly have surveyor questions.

This thread continued on AG OPEN GPS

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.