EMLID M2 input to Ag Open GPS, Easy Breezy

Okay still waiting for protocol converters for Trimble ez guide 150 project, so i decided to check out M2 integration into AG Open GPS.

@farmerBrianTee and friends wrote a really great guidance program here I am considering ditching Trimbles / Mainstream all together if it performs. Need to start looking at building the steering Hardware. I really got to go visit this guy one day. I also have to learn to code.

M2 Integration into Ag Open Gps is suuuuuuuuuuuuper simple, and Super cheap!

Step 1 Get a TTL to 232 converter board.

Step 2 Wire Like so,
EMLIDM2232adaptersetup
Step 3 Power up your Emlid and Laptop make sure comm settings are the same. I have the Emlid connecting to AG Open GPS running on my Laptop connected through a serial to USB adapter. the Double gender benders are to space out clashing screw terminals nothing else. As you can see the TTL to 232 adapter has its little red LED lit, shining through the electrical tape.

Step 4 Ag Open Gps magically takes the GIGANTIC NMEA WAD spewed out by the EMLID M2. I cant stress enough how handy it would be to be able to pick individual NMEA Sentences, and change talker codes especially at higher refresh rates.

Step 5 Question your own reality and why you are dumping big cash for Mainstream Ag Guidance. Once I get more free time in winter i am building a steering motor to field test. EMLID / Ag Open GPS may be the biggest thing to happen in agriculture since Harrows were invented.

The M2 is pretty awesome gets an RTK fix inside the house, sitting in an east facing window. So excited to use these on a tractor.

I only have the GPS outputting at 5Hz, but AgOpen GPS can support 10hz in V4.

So buy some M2’s they work great with Ag Open GPS.

4 Likes

Hi @PotatoFarmer,

Thanks for sharing the integration steps! I’m sure it’ll help our users who are considering connecting Reach M2 and AgOpenGPS :slight_smile:

It’d be great to see your results once test your setup on a tractor!

1 Like

I understand some of your statements. There are a huge majority that do not have the time or want to put the effort into DIY. First, I should state, I am a Trimble dealer. I wish there were a way to feed the Emlid data to a native Trimble monitor. I have been trying.

I can use them as 3rd party GPS for the tiling app but not for steering. Trimble steering requires TSIP so a Trimble receiver. Unfortunately, the TMX/FMX will not receive the RTCM corrections from the RS2 as well, I have tried. I think it is the GN verses the GP thing.

I have been very impressed with my initial testing of an Emlid M2 and RS2.

1 Like

I have to say Trimble makes some quality gear and somewhat follows the open source standards set out by NMEA, RTCM. Also they are kind enough to publish and post their standards for anyone who has the time to read it, and code around it. This is why i will never buy a (Deere) Navcom or Hemisphere ever, only buy Trimble.

TSIP is a protocol barrier to navigation only. TSIP has already been solved by some Russians, I will be checking out their converter soon.

I am resurrecting a 15+ year old ez guide 150, hardware is still good and working. All it needs is NMEA GPVTG and GPGGA to allow steering guidance, since it was created long before GNSS or TSIP. It had to talk to the Trimble 252 RTK radio at the time and it did not even have TSIP. RTCM corrections blocked on newer units are also a false wall, they just run a little older standard of RTCM3 if you can guess what version it is.

Dropping $18K CDN each machine, each guidance update, is getting pretty old. Only to immediately hit the wall of $2500 unlock codes, then $1200 subscriptions.

GPS has truly changed the way we farm, but now we want to put it on everything including the lawn mower. Its only a matter of time before Emlid fully integrates with Trimble, it would happen faster but i am only half Ukrainian Haha (Ukrainians! The guys who got us all a working copy of Deere Service Advisor!)

Farmers are very DIY, a lot have a second usually very technical job to keep the farm afloat. Also we are all in agreement on the “Right to Repair”. The machinery companies that allow for open tech standards will be the ones that will have the most customers in the future.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.