Emlid Caster Base mount point offline

I have two Reach RS2’s running firmware 31 Beta 2.
I am trying to use Emlid Caster for corrections to the Base to establish base coordinates and then transmit corrections to the Rover.
I cannot get the Base to receive corrections from Emlid Caster. I have created two different accounts to try different mount point’s. I’ve used IP and caster.emlid.com. I’ve tried home and work wifi, and iPhone hotspot. The weird thing is that I can get rtk2go to work just fine but I don’t have a mount point very close to me.
I’ve include a series of screenshots below to show my setup and different configurations.

Hi Shawn,

Welcome to our forum!

If I got you right, you’re trying to get the corrections from Emlid NTRIP Caster to the Reach base. If so, then it’s not going to work this way since our Caster isn’t a source of corrections like NTRIP services, for example. Emlid Caster can be used as a tool for transmitting the corrections from your base to your rover over NTRIP. Here’s the article that covers this topic in more detail.

If your goals are different, please let me know. I’d be happy to help!

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome. In this video it demos how the base can be setup using Averaged Float/Fix method, where the Caster could be used to transmit corrections to a singe unit without a base in the mix. My idea was to treat the RS2 that would be the Base as a Rover initially and use those corrections to establish the base point. Then, setup that unit as the Base to transmit NTRIP corrections to the 2nd unit (Rover) over the internet. I can do this with rtk2go so I figured the Emlid Caster would do the same. Now that I think about it, I realize you are just setting up you Base as an NTRIP Caster for the reference point you’ve established. And, based on the article you sent I seem to understand that correctly. Basically an alternative to LoRa when line of sight is not available. Unfortunately, the closest rtk2go base station is almost 300 km away but the averaged float method seems to be working.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Shawn.

The video explains various ways to set up the base in a base - rover setup.

What you are trying to do will not work with Emlid Caster. Emlid Caster is a means to transmit a base’s gnss position and observations to an online server, and then receive those observations over internet (NTRIP) on another receiver, the rover. If you do not have a base sending it’s position and observations, there is nothing for the server (Emlid Caster) to send to the rover.

Like in the video, you can establish a position with one of your units using one of the methods in the video. Then, you can connect that unit as the base in Emlid Caster. With your other unit, you can connect to Emlid Caster as the rover. You need both units, base and rover, connected to Emlid Caster at the same time.

Thanks y’all. I did fieldwork today with the following setup. It worked really well.

1. I went and bought two $2 Mint Mobile SIM cards and installed them in the base and rover. Gives you 1 week of use with 1GB of data. I wanted to see how well this work versus using my phone hotspot for the base and SIM for the rover. I wasn’t sure if these cards would work but figured $4 to try was worth it.
  2. Went in the field and set my wood stake in the ground for the base station and then set it all up on the tripod, etc.
  3. Setup the base to receive corrections from rtk2go, then set the base position settings to conduct a 5 minute average float base point. Established this as the base coordinates and turned off corrections being received by the base. In the status window it showed xyz were all around 3 cm accuracy.
  4. Setup the base to send corrections via Emlid Caster and the Rover to receive. All worked great.
  5. I then switched it over LoRa and it seemed to work just as well. I was never more than 500 meters from the base.

I will be interested to see how well it goes relocating our veg quadrats for resampling in the fall.

I’ll probably stick with a cheap SIM for the rover and just use my phone hotspot for the base in the future. I imagine most of the time I’ll be using LoRa.

Thanks again!