DJI P4RTK w/ Emlid RS2 RTK Connection Issues

Righto - so managed to get things going :raised_hands: Thanks for your help much appreciated. The problem (I think) was the network connection, also due to being on an island the base line between the closest CORS station is very long which requires my workflow to have the RS2+ set up as base recieving corrections through an RTK Ntrip provider and then the drone receiving corrections through EMLID CASTER acting as the rover. Managed to achieve FIX on RS2+ and p4rtk this way so Im a happy man :slight_smile:

I have one question - running a FIX solution this way without a known point, what kind of accuracies are to be expected? High relative and low absolute?

Thanks

J

If you had a fix and established a point for the base and then set that point as the base position and no longer need to be receiving corrections to the base. If it was a good fix you can expect 2-3cm global accuracy but you will continue to accumulate error the longer the baseline gets. I have never had a fix get worse than 4-5cm. If you are local NTRIP from the base to the drone that should be a 1-2cm relative accuracy.

1 Like

Hi Michael thats really helpful thanks, so if I average fix the base for 2 minutes do I then have to manual set base coordinates for this?

1 Like

That’s correct. The units always do the default action that is set so by it is probably doing an average single unless you have changed it or turned of base mode. You need to pick the point you just shot so the base is sending corrections “from” the correct location.

For those who work in or with construction - this is a breaking point for the way that the Trimble and Topcon equipment work by default. They grab a geographic coordinate as soon as the receiver meets the tolerances and initializes which is essentially an instant single observation. They usually take a couple of minutes but this is why they do localizations. If you tried to stake one of those localized control points it is 99% certain that you’re not going to match.

Hi Michael, thanks for the info - so just to be clear once a FIX is achieved, I then average the base by going to base settings, setting to average fix and allowing it to average for 2 minutes, is this then correctly set up to output corrections to the drone via caster?

I flew a test mission yesterday here, all went really well with having the base set up sending corrections to the drone and shooting 2 GCPs with a fix - however i did only do the above workflow, so would that mean my absolute accuracy would be poor? I had Fix solution for the entire flight.

Again I appreciate you help, I am just starting out and any info is truly appreciated.

Thanks

J

If you have “Average Fix” set in your Base Settings, as in the screenshot above, then, when you turn on the RS, it will not start averaging until it obtains a FIX.

As soon as it obtains the averaged fix, you can do 1 of 2 things.

1. You can start using the RS as the base sending corrections to the drone as is.
  2. Or, alternately, you could record that point in a project. In this case you would need to change your base settings to Manual, and tap on Configure, and choose that project and point for your base position.

In both cases, you do not need to continue receiving corrections from NTRIP to the base (RS).

If you are never going to use that point again,#1 is sufficient. If you are going to return and use that point again in the future, the second method is more efficient because you can skip having to receive and average corrections to your base in subsequent trips.

In any case, unless you are really strapped for time, when obtaining your base position, I would let it average for longer than 2 min. The longer it averages, the better the position accuracy in general.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.