DJI Matrice 600 and Reach RTK

Hello all,

I was hoping to use the Reach RTK for accurate geoTagging of images on a dji Matrice 600. I’m a little confused on how the two RTK units will communicate. Just to clarify, I’m not trying to integrate the Reach with the nav at this point, I’m simply wanting to log the RTK coordinates when an image is captured. (assuming I can grab the photo capture event from the onboard SDK of the drone…)

Can anyone give an outline of what it takes to get something like that rigged up?

Hello, a very simple process would be something like this. Both Reach units running simultaneously but not communicating with each other. They would both be logging files at the same time and once the flight was completed you could post process them together on your desktop to get high accuracy flight log. This does not cover the issue of synchronizing the time of your photos with the flight log. There is more info on the forum on that, but not specific to DJI, as far as I have seen. That is a concise answer to keep you thinking until one of the experts respond. :smiley:

1 Like

Hmm, interesting. Is it possible to only run 1 unit, but have it connected to a VRS network like RTX (About Positioning Technology From Trimble - GNSS & GPS)?

I would think that it is. Once again, you should be able to have it connected to VRS network if you have a data connection or radio for correction info.
Otherwise, I think you should be able to download log files from network??? and process them later with Reach logs.
Let’s see what the other guys say.
Some reading here as well.

@gryzzlydev @Brent_W Yes, you most definitely can receive real-time corrections from a VRS network through a data connection. You can also download logs and post-process.

Ah, so could you only run a rover unit with VRS? Or would you setup a base that was using the VRS and then the base sends corrections to the rover?

@gryzzlydev Yes, only a single rover unit with VRS.

Steve,

Did you ever get this to work? I am trying to get it to work on a Phantom by mounting the Reach with NTRIP to it and then post process it for geotagging images. Only hard part is there isn’t really a way to sync the picture taken to the reach.

I haven’t had a chance to mess with it yet. I’m guessing it will be hard to do with the phantom though because I don’t think the phantom is compatible with the DJI onboard SDK. (https://developer.dji.com/onboard-sdk/documentation/quick-start/index.html)

@arturosantiagososa Yes, the VRS works. Not sure how accurately you need to sync the pictures, but you could always use the photo time stamp.

How would I go about syncing the log with the pictures time stamp? I am trying to do Mapping with this set up so we are talking about 300+ pictures.

@arturosantiagososa There are many different ways and softwares. GeoSetter will do it very easily.

1 Like

Yes I have that. Anything I have to do with the log off of the reach? Or is it just to download the log since I use the VRS and throw the images and log into geosetter?

@gryzzlydev where you able to do it? im trying to do the same with a Matrice 100

No, I never ended up trying. I have been doing the old fashioned route and setting ground control points to rectify my imagery. I still hope to try this at some point, but haven’t had the time.

Yes, I am doing this, but now discover that the various softwares for SFM treat the positioning very differently. some are tightly coupled, some loosely.