Display reach status in Mission Planner

A couple of simple questions regarding reach status in mission planner.

Firstly I would like to thank Igor for his help so far. But thought it best to open this subject up to others.

Setup.

1. both reach units are working and getting a fix quit quickly.
  2. telemetry radios are set to RawData with ECC off.
  3. All settings in MP relating to reach rover as a second GPS have been set.
  4. MP and both reach units are on our lan
  5. “gpsstatus2” has been added to MP’s HUD
  6. inject GPS has been set to tcpclient with the ip and port of the reach base station. And data can be seen.

Problem. When the telemetry units are connected to each other, No status is shown for “gpsstatus2” in the HUD only a "0"
Question. Is this a feature that can only work if the reach modules are in AP mode and off the our LAN?

Secondly is it possible to use RTKPLOT live without an infrastructure wifi lan? Can it work through a com port or serial connection from the Windows laptop through the telemetry radio? Or even through the reach base station? Ideally I don’t want to add a long range wifi system into the equation. And 4g or even 3G round me is terrible.

Anyway thank you in advance

Andrew

Problem. When the telemetry units are connected to each other, No status is shown for “gpsstatus2” in the HUD only a “0”

I think part of this is due to how the Reach injects the information into apm via Erb vs NMEA. I’ve been tinkering with a L2 system and just piping it in via NMEA and I do get gets such as HDOP, satillites, and fix type in APM Planner.

Secondly is it possible to use RTKPLOT live without an infrastructure
wifi lan? Can it work through a com port or serial connection from the
Windows laptop through the telemetry radio? Or even through the reach
base station? Ideally I don’t want to add a long range wifi system into
the equation. And 4g or even 3G round me is terrible.

I used a second set of telem that had a different netid to shoot data over.

1 Like

Is anyone from EMLID able to comment? I would like to get this fundamental part of the setup done. Many thanks.

Mr337. I’ve just read your answer again. So if I add a second telem radio to both the ground station PC and on the drone I would then pick the com port for RTKPLOT ? Have I understood you correctly? Shame it cannot be done with just the primary telem radio.

I must say your answer to the first part of my question went straight over my head. I wish we had uptodate docs and or video tutorials that don’t include wifi. anyway thanks again.

That is correct. If your using APM there is already a lot of stuff happening on that link. If you want to get the metrics for RTKPLOT I would think you would want the raw output of the Reach rover after it has processed the data.

To use one telem you would have to find a way to inject the data back from the rover to the GCS. Possibly over mavlink, I wouldn’t think that would be too easy to do as you’ll need to make software modifications on both end.

I had a similar issue and just went with a second telem to inject the corrections, it was an opposite problem than you had.

1 Telem for regular GCS stuff
1 Telem for correction data

It all depends on how you have stuff wired but I think you can connect ta DF13 connector to the Reach and pipe the info out directly into a telem link. The confusion I have is if you are wanting to dump the wifi part, how is your rover going to get corrections?

Okay sorry for adding more confusion. I’m not dumping the wifi between the MP pc and base, just didn’t want to use wifi infrastructure between base and rover. This all started with trying to get the reach status into MP but although “gpsstatus2” has been added to the hud nothing comes through. So my next though would be to have plot running as this at the bottom of the window gives reach’s status.

My setup is

Base:-
PCs on base hotspot. With the 433 radio link connected to the PC.

Rover:-
reach isin serial port with 433 radio in telem on the pixhawk.

Simple.

I must say however that initially I had the ground radio plugged into the reach unit with modified cable as shown in the docs for a 3DR V2, then the reach into the PC via USB. But Igor put me straight.

I can’t believe that I’m the only one that wants the reach status shown in MP! I appreciate that you have managed to do it but I’m a simpleton and not as knowledgable about all this as you clearly are. I see this as being a necessity to be honest, or you will be completing a missions and oblivious to the fact that the solution has no fix. Perhaps the status should be included in the base stations ReachView or even Incorporating a plot within the base reach view.
But what would be better is to get clear instruction on how to get reach status into MP from Emlid.

When reach works and you zoom into plot it’s simply amazing to see it within a 10mm square and sometimes in a 5mm square. But getting a fix to happen on what should be a 99% or even 70% of the time would be nice but at the moment, feels more like 5% it’s all becoming very frustrating, especially when the docs are not updated and predominantly work round the premis that the base station is back at the office on some daft pole connected to the company network and a 4g lte device is on the rover. This is just not practical.

Anyway enough of the rant. You have been very helpful, thank you.

Andrew

Ah ok and the other thing I just now noticed is you are using a pixhawk. I don’t think my recommendation will work as it requires a linux device to pipe info in between, I’ve been using the navio2.

I checked https://docs.emlid.com/reach/electrical-specs/#connectors-pinout and it only has one serial output, the other looks like I2C with the SDL/SDC. In that case you might be out of luck without making modulations to the pixhawk binary to dump the output on the Telem2 port. Maybe someone else will chime in if they have a better idea :slight_smile:

Also with the simpleton statements, I’m not trying to be condescending. Trust me about four months ago complete noob, check out my earlier posts :laughing:

Getting those stats into MP would def be cool but have to keep in mind they will need to be generic and not only work with the Reach. Now getting live plots in the Reachview would be awesome, but you still have the problem of how do you connect to the rover to open ReachView.

Best of luck and if you get any where post updates!

1 Like

Thank you. Glad you see my dilemma. I have a navio 2 and a rpi 2 kicking around. But that’s another story. Are you finding navio to be any good?

Right I’ll leave you alone.

Many thanks. Oh and as to being a simpleton my learning curve on satalite terminology and tweeking setting has been hard enough.

Later