Difficulties with connecting Reach to Wi-Fi networks

I’m seeing similar issues with the discovery of devices from ReachView-App.
I just did some experiments, and on my phone it is only discovered if the devices is connected to the hostpot of my phone. All other scenarios tested cannot find the device from witin the app.

Working:

  • Reach connected to hotspot of smartphone (2.4GHz obviously)

Not Working:

  • smartphone connected to hotspot of reach (2.4GHz obviously)
  • both connected to home wifi (2.4GHz & 5GHz) (I also tried disabling the 5GHz network on the connected SSID, same results)

Most of the time I connect by browser to ‘reach.lan’ (most of the time this works)

Edit after topic post was moved to new topic:
Actually Reach does connect to the wifi properly, it’s just the ReachView app which cannot discover the device. (lookup up IPAddress by other means and connecting always works)

Hi Andy,

Could you please tell me, which smartphone do you use to connect to ReachView? Also, which firmware version does your Reach receiver run?

I’m using “Xaiomi Mi MIX 2S” with android version 10. (Sec. patch level of may 2020)
The ReachRS2 is running latest stable v2.22.5. the reachview app from playstore is v1.6
I happenned to have some brand new Xaiomi Redmi9 lying around (also android 10), same results.

To be sure, I’ve setup a new SSID on my router (2.4G only, WP2/PSK) and used that one to connect.
Tomorrow I can test with samsung and/or Wileyfox.

What system is used for the discovery? If I know the protocol I’m willing to troubleshoot with wireshark to see what happens on the network?

Additional info:

  • just tried with a Wileyfox Swift 2X (android 8.1): device not found with reachview-app when connected to home-wifi
  • I also booted a Reach Module (edison board) running firmware v2.20.8. Also not discovered when connected to home-wifi

Hi Andy,

Thank you for all the tests you’ve carried through.

Could you please check whether the same behavior persists with the ReachView 3? It requires the dev firmware but that issue should be resolved in this version.

We will push this update in the next stable versions of our firmware.

1 Like

Hello,
For the moment my RS2 is at a customer which is ‘testing’ his brand new application with RS2 (and he’s very satisfied for the moment - but that’s for another thread).
Anyway couldn’t test with RS2…
But since I had same problem with my Reach modules, I took the one which is on 2.22.5 an updated to 2.23.8 (dev).
I managed to get discovery working, but I’ll need to explain a little more about my network because it wasn’t a single-step solution.

My ‘regular setup’ is wired home-lan with with multiple unifi-accesspoints on it, the mac-addresses of my reach-devices are configured as static lease on my DHCP and always get the same IP (easy when discovery is not working :slight_smile: ).
Here are the steps I took:

  • After upgrading to the dev-firmware, discovery still fails.
  • I’ve setup another single accesspoint, with 2.4G only SSID (on same ethernet so same IP’s). Here discovery seems to work!
  • After disabling most of my unifi-radio’s => Still no luck on the unifi-wifi
  • After some more digging through configuration options in the unifi-configuration portal I found this setting:
    image
    Unchecking this fixed all discovery issues for combination of dev-firmware and reachview3 (I can even connect with smartphone on 5G and reach on the ‘test’-accesspoint, discovery still works)

since I’ve changed settings of my wifi-config, I gave another shot with my other reach module (still on v2.20.8, because it’s the last version with access to IMU/spidev5.1 ). Here the ReachView1.6-App doesn’t find the device, but the ReachView3-App does (but only thing I can do is updating the firmware, which I definitely don’t want to do unless I get access to spiddev5.1 :slight_smile: )

And now it’s working… if I could get some technical information about how the discovery works, I could integrate it in my application, so there is less configuration for my customer…, we would even be happier.

1 Like

Hi Andy,

Thank you for such an elaborative answer on your solution. I think it might help the users who are experiencing such behaviour with complex Wi-Fi hotspots.

Reach units are supporting only 2.4 GHz networks, that is why it is necessary to make sure the receiver is connected to the necessary band in case you use the joint 2.4/5 GHz network. Some routers may automatically toggle their clients from one band to another which results in losing the connection.

So the default recommendation would be to use the 2.4 GHz network or control the router settings in case of multi-frequency models.

I understand the units are 2.4GHz only, and therefore it’s easier to get it running when consuming devices are ‘as close/similar as possible’. However I think it’s very helpful if you could give some more technical information on the used discovery-protocol. (layer 2 or 3, custom ehternet or UDP broadcast, SSDP?)
I don’t think it’s working on the physical layer, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to get discovery working when smartphone & reach were connected to different WiFI-accesspoints.

If I had a wired device, I even cannot connect to 2.4Ghz, but still expect discovery to work.
It’s working now, but I still cannot explain exactly why it wasn’t working before (because of the missing technical details).

In my opinion, trial&error is good for getting information during troubleshooting. But it’s not a solution. I consider a problem solved, when I can explain why it was broken. (At this point you can decide if/what/when to take actions to prevent the problem in the future).

So although it’s working, my brains still can’t close the case :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.