/dev/ttyAMA0 Missing in Emlid 2017-03-23 Raspbian

I am connecting an XBee radio to NAVIO2, and to my surprise, there is no /dev/ttyAMA0.

pi@navio:~ $ emlidtool info
Vendor: Emlid Limited
Product: Navio 2
Issue: Emlid 2017-03-23 5e28de2c424cadfb61a62b88e9c0af98a6d25545
Kernel: 4.4.36-a7765e7-emlid-v7+

It looks like an oversight in the latest build of the NAVIO Raspian Image, that the UART is diabled. An edit to /boot/config.txt makes /dev/ttyAMA0 appear.

This would affect anyone wanting to connect their telemetry radio or other device using the hardware serial UART of a PI3.

You sure you did not just enable the linux console on AMA0?

If the console were enabled on /dev/ttyAMA0, the device would have shown up in /dev. It just was not enabled, hence no entry in /dev. I plan on examining the image itself later, just to make sure. /boot/config.txt has an entry enable_uart that needs to be set =1, but when I opened the file, it was set to =0. Changing this allowed me to see /dev/ttyAMA0, and then I was able to connect via XBee.

very interesting. last one i built i was able to use Reach as 2nd GPS without issue. was using the March Emlid distro. wonder if there has been another kernel change that is breaking stuff. i also read someplace that AMA0 on the RPi3 was set to bluetooth and ttys0 was serial console. so who knows what is gong on now.

honestly, the amount of churn between all the different open source projects involved with running navio has turned me off. likely back to pixhawk 2 or pixracer with a separate compute node.

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt in /boot/config.txt enables /dev/ttyAMA0 on Raspberry Pi 3. Are you sure that you haven’t changed anything in this file? I just reflashed the SD card and have /dev/ttyAMA0.