Data Collector With UART Output

Hello All.

I am building a special portable data collector that will log various metrics from an array of environmental sensors, as well as centimeter-level GPS coordinates. To do this, I want to use an RS2 as a base station, and one of the really small and physically light-weight Reach units like the M2 as a rover, and I want the M2 to be able to receive the RS2 corrections via LoRa, which means that one of the physical ports will be occupied by the LoRa cable. Can I do this and still bring the RTK coordinates out on a UART to feed to my data collector?
Now I know that some of these REACH products are capable of logging their readings to their own media and that’s all well and good, but I need to be able to send the coordinates or RINEX data out on a UART or some other physically connected port so that I can feed it to my external microcontroller where it will log all GPS and sensor data to a single file medium.

My question is whether or not I can set the M2 up to receive the base station corrections from the LoRa, AND send the corrected coordinates out on a separate UART or other kind of port so that the connection from the LoRa isn’t on the same physical port that the data logger is plugged into?
If my proposed scheme isn’t the way that this M2 is designed to work, then I need a recommendation on what Emlid product I should use and how it should be connected so that I can

1. receive the base station corrections and 2) have a physical connection from the roving REACH unit so that it can be logged by a separate microcontroller.

If anyone can help me with my questions, I would really appreciate it.

Hi Jim,

The project idea sounds great! It’d be amazing if you shared your experience here.

The setup you’ve described should work well.

My question is whether or not I can set the M2 up to receive the base station corrections from the LoRa, AND send the corrected coordinates out on a separate UART or other kind of port so that the connection from the LoRa isn’t on the same physical port that the data logger is plugged into?

Yes, when corrections output from the Reach RS2 to Reach M2 is configured, you can export coordinates from the Reach M2.

You can output the receiver’s coordinates via TTL UART port. The following formats are supported: LLH, XYZ ECEF, ENU, NMEA 0183, and ERB. Please check the Position output guide for more information.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.