Could GNSS signals from a particular direction be passively blocked from the antenna?

Say there was a large reflective wall blocking 90 degrees of view horizontally and from horizon to 60 degrees vertically. It could be a building or rock face, or a stand of trees.

We already block signals bouncing up from below with the ground plane, but what about signals bouncing from the side? Is there a good way to block one side of a GNSS antenna?

Could they be absorbed, or deflected, or a combination of both?

Would a L-shaped ground plane do the job, or would it make it worse? Maybe it would need some precise tuning.

Any ideas out there?

Some pics for inspiration:

images spiky_ground_plane tapered_choke_ring
weird_pricklies

4 Likes

Just i thought. Wouldnt always the signal that get their first from a satellite be the right one?

I believe you are correct @TB_RTK. Maybe in one circumstance it would not be true, and that is if there was no direct view from satellite to antenna, and only a reflected signal from that particular satellite would reach the antenna.

I was hoping to do it in a passive way as opposed to an active one though. In essence, I think a passive noise reduction like this would help Reach units fix quicker, more efficiently, with less processing overhead, and dare I say better accuracy? … but only for those situations with a stationary reflective object in view.

I have an idea that is not fully formed yet. Plus, I was hoping to there would be some other ideas out there that people might share.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.