Correction input via serial

Is it possible to connect base and rover to send the correction from the base to the rover through the S1 serial port. When we try, it keeps saying “waiting for correction input” on the rover. We have base mode off at the rover but on at the base and correction input is off at the base and on at the rover. But somehow they fail to communicate. Everything else is the same.

Hi @mabara,

Sure, it should be possible to transmit/receive the corrections using the S1 port. What radios are you using? How did you connect them to the units?

Hi Luidmila, we would like to physically connect the two units via serial not using radio. So we wondered if it is possible to connect the two units (base-rover) via a JST-GH cable and use this to send the connection. We leave the devices at a remote location for a entire year and thought that serial connection might be more stable then any other. Which of the other connections would be most stable? thanks.

Hi @mabara,

Technically, it should work but I’ve not tested this myself since the base and the rover in general aren’t placed together. Can you please tell me more about the results you’re trying to achieve? Why do you want to keep the rover static?

Hi Liudmila,
I am now connecting the base to the rover via the rovers wifi, which seems to work as long as the base does not change the IP. We are using them for GNSS Refractometry to estimate snow depth: https://www.research-collection.ethz.ch/bitstream/handle/20.500.11850/573811/sensors-22-06918-v2.pdf?sequence=2&isAllowed=y
This is the link to the paper we base our approach on. I have seen that the base sometimes changes the IP which in the field for use would cause a big problem, an additional problem we have is that the devices turn off after a certain time (let s say 1h) and are simultaneously turned on again. Both rover and base look simultaneously for a network and we risk that the base cannot connect to the rover. In this case a connection via Serial would be much better but so far has not worked. We need the base only for correction input and the positioning file on the rover with the up component gives us the necessary information.

1 Like

Hi @mabara,

Thanks for the details!

The base may change its IP when the rover that acts as a DHCP server was turned off. But if the devices are always turned on, you should get the permanent IP address during one session.

The units shouldn’t be shutting down, it seems like something is not working properly. Can you please tell me more about the configuration you are testing? What power source are you using? Is the rover under the snow?

Maybe we need to double-check the connection of the cable. Do you connect the GND of the base to the GND pin of the rover? This connection should work but I can hardly tell how it’ll behave if the cable is very long. We may expect signal attenuation.

Greetings,
It’s there a reason why you would not connect the base & rover via LoRa to obtain RTK corrections?

If it’s like the setups our department built here for the same technique (with bare components though), the receivers are setup on a remote weather station that runs off solar panels and batteries. The entire thing goes in sleep mode most of the time, except when taking measurements, to conserve battey power. Having wired transfer is part of power conservation, I guess.

That being the case, wouldn’t a serial port connection be the most suitable?

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.