Coordinate system, export/import with Google earth

Ok, bear with me here as I don’t entirely understand coordinate systems and what not and I had no idea there were so many different ones.

The company I work for everything is based on wgs84. We’d like to use our new to us rs2’s to survey really simple stuff like corners of corn fields, irrigation pivots and what not. Anyway using the emlid flow app in survey mode is really great but I set a project to “global cs” and when I go to import them into Google earth for example it places the points half way around the other side of earth. I’ve never seen this problem with any of our other gps devices. We’ve saved points as wgs84 and that was that. Points were transferable to any program we use.

Not as simple is seems with the rs2? I can set the project to use the correct wgs84 utm zone I’m in and it imports into Google earth fine then but the problem is we work across several zones and folks less adept at using these things are not going to like having to figure out the correct zone their in to have points export without issue.

Should I be able to select some sort of global wgs84 coordinate system? What is it called in the app or do the other devices we use somehow know what zone we’re in automatically?

Thanks
-Dazed and confused

Maybe I should be using “us survey feet” instead of just “feet”?

Haven’t tried that yet

If the point on Google Earth is in a complete different area of the globe, that could be because you inverted latitude and longitude values. Google Maps for example expects the latitude first, and then the longitude, in decimal degrees.
Like, a point in Ohio would turn into a point in Antarctic :laughing:

4 Likes

^^^THIS^^^

2 Likes

Hi Chad,

Anyway using the emlid flow app in survey mode is really great but I set a project to “global cs” and when I go to import them into Google earth for example it places the points half way around the other side of Earth.

I agree with @Florian and @michaelL . If your points appear on the opposite side of the globe, you should probably change the order of their latitude and longitude.

Should I be able to select some sort of global wgs84 coordinate system? What is it called in the app or do the other devices we use somehow know what zone we’re in automatically?

Emlid Flow won’t automatically determine the current UTM zone where you are surveying. However, in the Coordinate System tab, you can enter your country after WGS84, and the app will show which UTM zones cover it.

Maybe I should be using “us survey feet” instead of just “feet”?

This doesn’t have a significant impact on your results. A US Survey Foot is expressed as a fraction (1200/3937) meters while a Foot is expressed as a decimal, exactly 0.3048 meters. That’s a difference of only one one-hundredth of a foot per mile.

I would be careful with this. It doesn’t sound like it for this use case but if you are in the United States using an SPCS you’ll want to make sure it’s not USft vs International feet. That small percentage can become quite large on a coordinate value over 10 million feet like we have in Texas. I literally just ran into this issue on my current project with a 20ft bust that “just appeared” when a new Surveyor got involved.

1 Like