Connectivity issues

Hi all,
Recieved my reach rtk kit yesterday :smile:
Im using my android galaxy phone as my controller.
I can connect to the reach wifi hotspot but cannot get the reach to connect to my phones hot spot.
In order to create my phones hotspot i enable mobile data which turns off my wifi. Has anyone experienced this issue? Or am i missing a piece to the puzzle?

My impression is that if you have mobile data, then you should be able to create a hotspot.

I have a Galaxy also, but in my case I do not have a mobile data plan, so I installed cyanogenmod which lets me create a hotspot without a cellular internet connection.

So at which point in the process do u activate ur hotspot if originally ur connected to the reach units wifi? Thanks for the reply bide

Hi!

I think it does not really turn your wifi off, just displays mobile network data again. Check if you have a new Wi-Fi network available with another device.

The easiest way is to go to Reach Wi-Fi settings, enter new network details. Then start the hotspot on your phone and power cycle Reach. The phone will likely display a new connection info.

Ok thankyou will give this a go! :+1:

Yay connection! Turns out reach was connected to my mobile data hotspot but ā€œfingā€ could not find the connection as it was no longer a ā€œwifiā€ connection. The ip adresss can be viewed through the android settings. Thanks for ur help

2 Likes

How can you find the IP address of the Reach when connected to a mobile phoneā€™s hotspot? Iā€™m trying to connect Reach to my phoneā€™s hotspot but I canā€™t tell if itā€™s working or not b/c I donā€™t know how to find out Reachā€™s IP address in this scenario? Fing doesnā€™t work, no network discovery app Iā€™ve tried to date works. These apps appear to be intended for wifi only. Android 6 marshmallow.

with android under mobile hotspot tab (at least on my samsung note 4 - which may differ from stock android) ip adresses show up!

Doesnā€™t for me on my Moto G4 Plus running Android 6. I tried my domain name but it canā€™t resolve it. At this point, I donā€™t know how to connect to ReachView from my phone when connected to my phoneā€™s hotspot.

try network discovery (android app)
go to options, general, network interface, choose wlan0!
i donā€™t know if static IP is possible with reach at the momen since i ruined my deviceā€¦but of course that would be an option tooā€¦

Yes, setting it to wlan0 worked. Thx! I donā€™t think Reach can be set to static through ReachView. It probably can via SSH on command line. Iā€™m also curious about the reach.local addressā€¦I think that uses Bonjour?