Connection problem phone - ReachView

Hi,

Just got my first RS+ and now learning to use them. Thank you Emlid for docs and tutorials and forum users to give good materials to start with!

This is one trouble that took some time to go around. When using ReachView with ReachView App, the RS+ address (192.168.42.1) was found, but when trying to connect there was “Sorry, ReachView is not responding”. Also connecting with Chrome of Firefox did not work ("not found etc…). But finally the go around was to shut down the mobile data from the phone, then connect to the ReachView/RS+ and after that turn on the mobile data.

This happened with CatS60 phone (Android 6.0.1) but Sony Xperia Z5 Premium (7.1.1) worked fine. (Also after upgrading to latest ReachView version.) I was hoping to use the rugged CatS60 in the field, but this connection problem may potentially cause some troubles when using NTRIP service over mobile data connection.

Is there something that I can do to fix this?

Thanks

2 Likes

Hey there,

Is the green LED was on when you had the issue with the connection?

Hi!

Yes, all the leds were on, like shown in the tutorial video:

1 Like

Sorry to butt in, but it sounds like the reason your phone didn’t find Reach at 192.168.42.1 is that your mobile device automatically switched back to mobile data and therefore had disconnected from the Reach RS+ hotspot.

When using a phone or mobile device with a data plan, you want to configure the Reach unit to connect to your mobile device’s hotspot.

I’m sure the video goes over this, but I’ll try and give you my explanation. It is that there are 2 ways to set up your configuration.

1. If you have 3 devices available: 1. Your mobile device with mobile data on and a hotspot on. 2. A second device with Wi-Fi (laptop, etc.). 3. Your Reach unit.

• You use the second device to connect to the Reach unit’s hotpot, go to http://192.168.42.1 and to the ReachView Wi-Fi settings tab, and configure your mobile device’s hotspot info (name, password, security type) and tell it to connect. Then the ReachView app on your mobile device should find your Reach device on its local network (which will be a totally different address than 192.168.42.1).

2. If you only have 2 devices available: 1. Your mobile device with Wi-Fi on. 2. Your Reach unit.

• There is a small chicken and egg scenario to deal with first. You have to connect to Reach’s hotspot first to be able to configure in the settings for your mobile device’s hotspot, and you can’t be connected to Reach’s hotpsot while simultaneously broadcasting a hotspot. So, first you connect your mobile device to Reach’s hotspot. Next, you go to 192.168.42.1 and to the ReachView Wi-Fi settings tab, and configure your mobile device’s hotspot info (name, password, security type). Then you turn off your Reach unit. Then you turn on the mobile device’s hotspot (along with mobile data). Then you turn on your Reach unit and it should look for your mobile device’s hotspot and connect to it. Now you can open up the ReachView app on your mobile device and it will find your Reach device! (again, this will be a totally different address than 192.168.42.1)

From now on, all you have to do is enable your mobile device’s hotspot before turning on your Reach device, and everything will be good!

Also remember to wait for the solid green LED to appear before you try and access ReachView (otherwise it won’t be running yet).

Let us know if that helps at all!

4 Likes

Completely agree with @bide suggestion. Thanks for a great description of the whole workflow!

1 Like

Thank you Bide! This solution works very well!

I seems that the smart phone is too smart, or not smart enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

Indeed!