Conducting Surveys with RS2+ Rover in ETRS89 / UTM Zone 32N Using ETRF2000 NTRIP SmartNet

Hi! I am using the RS2+ rover with an NTRIP SmartNet connection by Hexagon/Leica, which is set to the ETRF2000 reference system.

I need to conduct a survey in the ETRS89 / UTM zone 32N reference system (EGM 2008 Geoid). How can I do this? Thank you for your advice.

Hi Gilberto,

Welcome to our community!

In this case, you have three different options:

1. If you have experience with third-party software such as QGIS, you can perform the survey in an ETRF2000-based coordinate system and transform the coordinate system in the office into ETRS89 / UTM zone 32N.

2. If you have known points in your site in ETRS89 / UTM zone 32N, you can measure them in an ETRF2000-based coordinate system and apply localization to transform your coordinates.

3. The third method may require some research, but you can set up a custom coordinate system where you can enter the transformation parameters between the two datums and then define the projection.

Hi Zoltan,
thank you so much for your answer. I have anoter question: Can i collect points in Global CS and then create a new project with the required coordinate system and import the CSV file into it?

Beacuse i see this answer: Converting Global CS to GDA2020

Thank you so much

I had a short discussion with the team about your case. ETRF2000 is a realization of ETRS89, you don’t need the workaround that I listed previously. You can use your NTRIP service and measure in ETRS89 / UTM zone 32N right away. You should get centimeter-level precision.

Sorry if I confused you. However, I left my previous message as it is because it can be helpful for others whose datums are totally different.

Can i collect points in Global CS and then create a new project with the required coordinate system and import the CSV file into it?
Beacuse i see this answer: Converting Global CS to GDA2020

It could also work in your case, but this approach just adds an excessive step of manual conversion. So I’d stick with the simplest method.

3 Likes

I was about to say this, so I am just here to support @zoltan.biber answer.

1 Like

Hi Zoltan, I have another request.

Our NTRIP service provider in Italy, Smart Net by Hexagon, uses the ETRF2000 reference system to provide positioning services.
For our project, we need to use the following coordinate systems: UTM WGS84 Zone 33 (EPSG 32633) and orthometric height ITALGEO2005.

Can we still utilize the Smart Net service with these requirements?

Thank you

HI @gilberto.gregoris,

I saw that you also sent the same question via email. Could you please check your inbox? I have replied to your question via email. Thank you!