Cheapest DGPS survey with Reach

I am very excited to share my first simple DGPS survey setup using readily available parts and Reach for a quick field campaign. I used a 10Ah power bank to power the reach module and a tupperware small box for Tallysman antenna.!

I’ve kept a small aluminium foil as a ground plate. Although the diameter of the ground plane is smaller than suggested 10cm, it worked fine. I’m trying to increase the SNR. I have a small question that what type of material is required for antenna cap for getting more signals. Your suggestions are needed. I will process the raw data and upload the images soon.

Thanks once again the Reach team for making survey so simple and cheap.

5 Likes

Ideal size of ground plane might be 12cm according to your frequencies.
The material and shape of the antenna housing is determinant for the performance. Good antennas are tuned to their housing and any change by additional covering etc. will degrade the performance of a good tuned antenna.
Embedded Antennas Reference Guide.pdf (438.8 KB)
Application Note - Ground Plane Considerations for GNSS Ceramic Patch Antennas Rev 0.pdf (625.8 KB)

I wouldn’t use any housing for the antenna when the antenna itself got a housing already.

I have got two Tallysman antennas, a TW3710 and a TW4721, and both are IP67 rated.
This means they are dust proof and could be submerged into water up to 1 meter for up to 30 minutes without taking damage. That should be enough for outdoor use I would say :wink:

1 Like

Recent updates on Reach as Beach profiling rovers…

There two rovers have Reach modules connected to a power bank…

3 Likes

good efforts sir,
nice job.

these type of receivers are not good for geodetic surveys but

Data collection in kinematic mode, gis much better than handGPS.

Could you elaborate this?

1 Like

Long Baseline Surveys.

i.e establishing geodetic control network over a large areas.

Can you elaborate on why, so we can all learn something? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting, I’ve used Reach and worked hand in hand with the US Army Corps of Engineers on plots as big as 140acres. I’ve been given thumbs up multiple times,

So again, please elaborate…

Hi @pavan008,

May I ask you to clarify your statement? Could you please tell more about issues you got with Reach receivers?

2 Likes

I understand @pavan008’s point, but since this thread is not about long-baseline geodetic survey, his comment is off topic. In short, he means that multi-frequency GNSS receivers can maintain accuracy at much longer distances than single-frequency receivers. It is true, but not related to the subject of this thread which is low-cost surveying, a market niche where Reach devices are most certainly at the top of their class.

(sorry, that was a blatant plug for Emlid :slight_smile: )

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.