Charging The RS2+ Receivers

RE: Power supply | Reach RS2/RS2+

I’ve been uncertain if my fast charging Samsung charger should be used on the RS2+ receivers… or if it matters at all in terms of how fast the RS2+ units can be charged? So far, I’ve been using my PC’s USBs to charge the RS2+ receivers, though this takes a while to fully recharge them.

There isn’t much information presented on this page concerning battery charging. When the two units arrived, there was only one orange LED showing when I charged the units for the first time. The cited article doesn’t mention anything about this… or any of the other LED battery/ charging indicators.

Consider adding at least some of the information that’s shown on this page:

The units didn’t include a specific battery charger designed to optimally charge the receiver’s batteries, nor were there any design specifications listed in regards to the best charger to buy. The only power requirement that gets mentioned on the cited page relates specifically to an external 9-pin connector, and that 5 watts is required.

Given the wide variety of possible cabling and charger choices, USB 1.0, USB 2.0, USB 3.0, etc., please consider providing the exact specifications for the battery charger that will optimally and safely charge the RS2+; and/ or a link to the specific item on Amazon.

Also, consider developing a charging rate chart showing what charging times should be expected using a given charger.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

Kelly

1 Like

Hi Kelly,

The DataSheet specifies:

Charging USB-C 5 V 2 A

A typical phone charger is 5V 1-3A, so that is what I use.

charg

3 Likes

Hi Dave,
Thank you for the reply.
Most PC USB ports supply 5V, but range in overall output between 2.5 and 4.5 watts

Here’s the typical charger that supports Samsung fast charging phones 25W and 45W

1 Like

This Guy has some Emlid fast chargers left

https://oldstock.ca/
https://centimeter.ca/

2 Likes

I would be comfortable using a PC port, but that is not convenient for me. I use inexpensive cubes or car chargers that output typically 2A.
I personally avoid the more powerful chargers meant for laptops and high-powered tablets in the 25-45A range for devices that specify ~2A input.

The chargers that I linked above are for typical phones, not laptops Dave, but I totally get your point and was why I started this thread. The page Power supply | Reach RS2/RS2+ could be improved. And like Dave shared, Emlid’s fastest charger isn’t even mentioned.

I guess my phones are old, they all came with 2 or 3A chargers.

Even Emlid"s charger that Dave linked is only 18w which is a little over 3A @ 5v.

1 Like

It says that a single orange light is a low battery. I use a 5v/3a Google Pixel charger all the time and a port on my laptop docking station that’s 5v/1.5a and it works as well.

The RS2/+ supports USB-PD 5V 3 amp (15 watts) charging, if the charger can deliver it.
Most USB-C charger can deliver this, where USB-A based chargers usually max out at 2.4 amps.

2 Likes

I use this charger from Anker on my RS2s and it works great:

This one can charge two devices, but they also have a charger with only one port that’s about half the cost. I’ve found using a 5V/3A charger can charge the RS2 in about 4 hours. I’ve also used the 20W usb C iPad charger and it works well also. Having a 3A charger is really a must for the RS2.

2 Likes

Hi Kelly,

I can echo what the guys said about chargers. A simple USB wall adapter with 2A or 3A output (3A is better) and 5V is an appropriate power supply for Reach RS2+. Every modern smartphone usually comes with such an adapter.

PC USBs usually have a lower current output, so it may take a while to charge Reach with them.

In my experience, it takes a similar amount of time to charge Reach RS2/RS2+ with such a charger.

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply Kirill.

Truth is my Samsung Galaxy S23 didn’t even include a charger when it arrived earlier this year and I’ve just been using the charger from the previous phone (Samsung A71) to charge my phone. From everybody’s help, and your official blessing of 5V ⎓ 3A, I’ll be using it (shown in the photo below) to also charge the RS2+

The main point of starting this thread was to suggest that the HTML page (cited at the top of this thread) be expanded. If Emlid still manufactures its own charger, then consider adding a link to it on that page. In either case, it might also be good to include the USB delivery parameters of 5 Volt direct current with 3 Amp output.

2 Likes

Hi Kelly,

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ve noted it and passed it on.

2 Likes