[Bug][IMU] Enabling lingering for systemd user services

Before creating a new thread please refer to Quickstart guides for Reach and Reach RS.

In case you are creating a thread about an issue it is necessary to provide following information to get help:

1. Firmware image and ReachView version.
    Not affected: v24.0
    Affected: v27.1
    Both of these, but non of the updates in between, have been tested.

2. System report.
    [Not relevant]

3. Detailed problem description. How does observed behavior differ from the expected one?

After one of the updates between v24.0 and v27.1 it is no longer possible to enable linger for systemd user services. This means that any software to interface with the IMU can’t be started automatically on boot without a login session being started.

Since this hasn’t been documented in the changelog (as far as I can see), I’ve labeled this as a bug.

On v24.0 [expected outputs]:
$ loginctl enable-linger reach
$ loginctl user-status reach
reach (1000)
Since: Mon 2021-09-20 11:11:46 UTC; 30s ago
State: active
Sessions: *c1
Linger: yes
[…]

On v27.1 [unexpected output on newest version]:
Could not enable linger: The name org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1 was not provided by any .service files
reach (1000)
Since: Mon 2021-09-20 11:11:46 UTC; 19s ago
State: active
Sessions: *c1
Linger: no
[…]

1. Your step by step actions.
    a) SSH into reach
    $ ssh reach@reach.local
    b) Try enabling linger
    c) confirm whether linger has been enabled

2. Picture of the setup and connection scheme.

3. Specify the exact make and model of the hardware you are integrating.
    This has been tested on two emlid Reach (edison-based) Modules

1 Like

Hi @SivertHavso,

Welcome to the forum!

I’m now testing the same setup with Reach Module to see the difference between the firmware versions. Once it’s clear, I’ll reach out to you.

1 Like

Hi @SivertHavso,

I’ve checked that linger indeed can’t be enabled on 27.1. I can hardly say why it happens since it’s not the functionality we officially support. So, I can only assume some features or fixes we implemented indirectly affected the linger work.

However, that’s not the note I want to end on, as I’d love to see your work with Reach is convenient. Can you describe how linger affects your work and how you see your ideal workflow? I’ll talk about it with the team, and we’ll bear it in mind for the future.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.