Broken emlid base (bottom thread)

Thank you!
It would be interesting to know what the ratio of 1/4” to 5/8” users is. I guess you believe it is above 0.5…
Best regards,
Lars

Either way, I would still design & build them for harder use (5/8") rather than the opposite. Cheap adapters can be had anyways for the light weight 1/4" users.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=1%2F4%205%2F8%20camvate&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma&Top+Nav-Search=

1 Like

I think we are running into allot of Euro/US issues here as Emlid continues the global trek. I personally after 15+ years of surveying have never seen a professional GPS receiver with a 1/4 mount.

1 Like

I think it (base) was initially thought to be used with a $20 Bosch cheapie tripod with 1/4" thread for maximum portability.

Maybe a selfie-stick for the rover-pole? HA! JK! ; )~

Seriously though, the multi-freq design should definitely implement survey grade 5/8".

1 Like

Just because I can I am going to sneak in a bump for the protective surround bumper… Still haven’t been able to buy one guys… :wink:

I don’t think the 5/8 inch thread would help.

I know two people who have broken out their bottom. But if doesn’t break at the 1/4th inch screw, it breaks out a big one inch diameter hole in the plastic. A 5/8th inch thread won’t necessarily protect it. if a pole falls over (and bipods are a big culprit) the bottom is going to bust out even if you had a 1 inch diameter thread.

I think the best way to support the Reach RS is with a wider mounting area, which will distribute the force of a fall over the entire bottom, not just 1/4 inch thread, or 5/8 inch screw, or even the full 21 mm diameter of the brass adapter. I think this may prevent bustout a bit better…

This has a 1/4 inch thread on top to attach to a Reach RS, and a 5/8 inch hole on the bottom. It’s sold by
tigersupplies (adirpro) and pacific laser systems, for anywhere from $15 to $20. I don’t have one, but am thinking about it.

(now if it was only 21.5 millimeters high, so all the built in Reachview software would think it’s the OEM adapter.)

• Thomas.
2 Likes

A 5/8 thread will be more stable just due to the surface area of the connection, but the flaw is ultimately the design of the shell at the connection point. This is a design that you would typically see for something like a punch-out hole…

1 Like

Agree. If anything the plastic design around a new 5/8" socket design would need beefed up as well. We know it won’t be totally indestructible, but 5/8" is really the survey equipment standard. 1/4" for photography with is typically light weight purpose.

If you need a sledge hammer, buy a sledge hammer. If you need an GNSS receiver, buy a GNSS receiver. Just don’t confuse the two and everything will be OK.

What I mean is that the RS(+) polycarbonate housing can already take more abuse than it should have to. When there are housing failures like this, what should be examined is the external force that caused it, and work out a solution to prevent it from happening again. And that is exactly what happened here in this thread. Between the customer and the dealer, the solution was to replace the RS+ housing and incorporate a vibration dampening unit.

3 Likes

Future versions still need survey equipment standard 5/8".

Have to treat things how you want to last either way, but sometimes, i.e. employees etc don’t think the same as you’d expect… so then over time, you add to your expense account and your list of fired employees.

; )

1 Like

Or if you need to do real production work then pay up. Bottom line is the value that Emlid is providing far outweighs what they “can’t” do. We need to be more appreciative of the price-point of these receivers. I can buy a new one for less than a repair on my Topcon.

They are not industrial grade. If you have used a Topcon/Trimble/Leica receiver then you would agree. I’m just throwing my observations out there, but the lack of a bumper, hardness of the material used for the shell and the mounting connection design are going to fail over time. Add to that the scenario that the OP put the receiver in is not what the unit was designed for so more thought needs to be put into the setup.

This is industrial-grade. Cast aluminum shell with a rubber bumper and powder coating. This unit is 4 years old and yes I take care of it, but it has had plenty of collisions over that period.

3 Likes

Yeah…not sure who said it but when ever i see topcon stuff, i think of hamburgers… go figure

4 Likes

That be me Tore. ; )

The icons in Topcon MAGNET Field software look like hamburgers! : )

Rover poles make good hamburger holders while you wait for a FIX.

4 Likes

Haha. You brought hamburgers to the topcon buttons/menues?

2 Likes

I’ve been using a Trimble R4 Rover mounted on a 25mm steel pipe on one of the racks of an ATV for ag field surveys. The pipe, at about 60cm long, does transmit quite a strong vibration so that the battery case has loosened over time. I would much rather see the Reach+ have a 5/8" thread, and a 1/4" x 5/8" adapter issued for those who do not require the robustness and who have need for the 1/4" thread. This would then standardize the fitting to most other survey systems on the market.

2 Likes

Agree, it’s designed backwards currently for longevity.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.