Bluetooth ERB vs NMEA in FieldGenius Android data collection

I have been using my RS2 receivers to do RTK surveys with the FGA data collection software.
Recently FGA switched data collection from ERB to NMEA. The data transfer rate seems to be significantly slower.
A reading used to take 10 seconds to collect using ERB.
Now it takes 30 seconds using NMEA.
What is the cause of this?
I have not changed any data transfer rates

Hi Adrian,

Have you checked the update rate of NMEA messages? You can find them in the NMEA settings of the Position streaming tab:

Do you have any other software that can accept NMEA data from Reach? Just to figure out if the issue is related to the app or the receiver itself.

2 Likes

Hi Kirill,
Thanks for the response.
The answer is no on both counts.
I will try adjusting the NMEA rates- are there any negative consequences to increasing the data rate?

I was actually very excited when they released the newest version, but with NMEA I can’t even get a fix. I have had to go back to the last version and use ERB myself.

1 Like

Hi Adrian, I haven’t experience any slow downs using a RS2 Rover connected to a RTN service with the NMEA protocol selected. I had also wondered about your update settings. I have it set at 5Hz message rate on the Rover with all satellites activated. Also are you selecting Topo or Control for the measurement setting? Topo, of course is a shorter duration, with I believe is 3 epoch measurements taken vs control at 30/(secs?) epoch’s.

I’m using Version 2.3.8.8606 of MicroSurvey FieldGenius Android. I have been really pleased with FGA and the improvements they have done lately with the software.
Best purchase I have made since getting the Emlid receivers! I see the wish list from people with Emlid Flow and understand, it was the same way with FGA in the early days, and it has taken a couple of years to get where they are today.
Here is a link to their release notes:
https://www.microsurvey.com/products/fieldgenius-for-android/whats-new/

2 Likes

I too am using the latest (same as you) release of FGA.
I must say I am also pleased with the GNSS performance & features (cannot say the same for Total Station, but that is a discussion suitable for another environment).
Not being a GNSS expert, I just used the default settings.
I am using the control setting at 40 measurements/reading - but this is the same I had it on ERB when it would take around 8-10 seconds to record.

1 Like

Running same set up went into reach panel and had to change all to 5hz i think or 1hz then FG ran as normal i.e 5-7 seconds rather than 30s

2 Likes

Hi guys,

Thank you for letting us know!

We’ll be looking into this further with the team, I’ve forwarded all the details from the thread for further investigation. Once there are any updates, I’ll post them here.

2 Likes

Hey Kirill,
For some reason I can’t find this page in Emlid Flow (Version 8.9) app.
I am using RS2 receivers

Hi Adrian,

You may likely work with outdated firmware, but they should be accessible through Settings > Position streaming > Bluetooth (click on the Edit button) > NMEA settings:
NMEA settings screencast

2 Likes

Thanks -but FW is up-to-date

Hi Adrian,

If so, how does it look like in your case? Can you access them through the Reach Panel?

Hi Kirill
I don’t understand why, but yesterday I was able to access the full BT panel for the first time.
I changed the BT data rates to from 1 to 5 Hz and of course the BT transfer rates are coming in at the speed I am accustomed to.

Thanks
AML

1 Like

Hi Adrian,

Hmm, it sounds curious. Good to hear that it worked out for you!

Thanks for letting us know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.