Beta v3 image with ROS and Wi-Fi Broadcast support for Navio boards

So like @mlebret reported, it seems that WBC fails to start:

pi@navio:/ $ sudo systemctl start wbctxd
Failed to start wbctxd.service: Unit wbctxd.service failed to load: No such file or directory. 

In fact, I was unable to find any file related with WBC in the image linked on top… @mikhail.avkhimenia, @george.staroselskiy, are we sure that this is the link to the correct image?

Thanks

Guys, I’m terribly sorry, but it seems like somehow I haven’t updated the image’s link. I’m updating the URL as soon as I get to the server. I guess it’ll be no sooner as January, 8. Sorry for misconvenience.

Alright, makes sense and I totally understand the difference of perspective. Did not want to seem cocky at all, was more just from a curiosity standpoint. Thank you for all your hard work in development!

Will the wifibroadcast implementation also include the features for RC, Telemetry, OSD, I have seen other users talk about these being implemented in the wifibroadcast image?

Thanks for clearing this out. Looking forward to the release.

Enjoy your holidays!

Guys, I just got back from the holidays and updated the link. Now it points to the newer image. Thank you for your patience.

Hello,

Installation of new image is ok.

wpa_supplicant.conf is not in /boot partition but in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

Marc

I’ll look into it tomorrow. Thanks for the feedback.

The file has been changed. Appreciated:-)

Been testing the image and so far I must say it’s been great. Wifibroadcast is working well, and the services-based approach is very intuitive.

Before I invest more time in customizing the current (beta) image, I’d like to ask: Will we be able to upgrade from the beta to the final image once it is avialable, or will it require a totally new image?

Thanks for the hard work.

1 Like

@yconst Thanks for trying it!

Before I invest more time in customizing the current (beta) image, I’d like to ask: Will we be able to upgrade from the beta to the final image once it is avialable, or will it require a totally new image?

Sorry, betas cannot be upgraded. Better to wait for the release, which should happen very soon (one week ETA).

2 Likes

Great thanks for the tip.

First look on NAVIO2 by this beta image is good. I cannot find any issue at this moment. The installation of this image on NAVIO+ has some trouble of compass calibration; live calibration on Mission Planner. It require too much value of offset. I did not fly this setup.

1 Like

Have you been able to overcome the problem of the wireless adapter having its bitrate changed?

It is not part of the actual Wifibroadcast program though in Benefitiv’s guide he has that as one of the steps to force a certain connection speed and improve range/reliability. On one hand not having it would of course limit wifibroadcast’s range and reliability. While on the other hand it may be a pain in the but if you have a wireless adapter running hostapd or something.

Maybe this could be a separate option that you could enable/disable on specific wireless devices. For example maybe I want wifibroadcast on Wlan1 with the modified bitrate, while I want hostapd running on Wlan0 without the modified bitrate (to remotely access the ssh shell while on the field). Maybe you could even run hostapd on an adapter with the modified bitrate.

It would be great if there was some sort of script to enable/disable the modified bitrate of a specific adapter. Maybe you can even offer more bitrate options than Benefitiv did?

Also, in wifibroadcast it talks about changing your wireless adapters power. Any hopes of having an easy way of changing your wireless adapters power? In Kali linux it looks like it is very easy by just typing a command line in the terminal. Other linux distributions seem to not have this feature and make it difficult.

Thanks!

Hi Marcello,

I’ve had success in installing WBC and hostapd with two adapters in an unmodified Raspbian image. I followed befinitiv’s instructions for WBC and this tutorial for hostapd.
While I haven’t tried, I can imagine that the same could be achieved in the case of the EMLID image. In fact, while I havent tested hostapd, I found regular Wifi (with an extra adapter) to work pretty well with WBC. I was able to ssh to the NAVIO2 host, while having video streaming via WBC to another Pi.

@Jiro_Hattori I’ve had the same issue with NAVIO2: Compass #2 was showing very high z offset (around 600 if I remember correctly, I can post the figures if you want). I ended up disabling it and using only compass #1.

@george.staroselskiy, @mikhail.avkhimenia, can you guys comment on this issue?

Thanks.

Yannis

The compass issue has been discussed many times over. That’s why right now we have only one compass enabled by default. It should have lower offset values.

1 Like