Base stations

Sorry for being thick, but if you set two basestations up, with one rover, would the rover accept corrections from both basestations or just one? If you had two basestations setup giving you good coverage long base lines, would the one rover be connecting to both and so you can just hop from one to the other. If two base stations are setup, and connecting to one rover, would this not provide a more accurate survey? Just wondering…

We do this or setup repeaters with our Topcon all the time. I would suggest setting up the two bases, logging eah for an hour and doing PPK to get their positions. You can then set them up apart from each other and Reach (LOL) further. The advantage this has over an extended radio is that your PPM and dispersal error will be a ton better. IE, instead of a single base reporting one point at a 10km distance you can report two points at 2.5km. We have even performed a 3 base (2 repeater) setup which worked particularly well because we were able to create our own triangulation similar to a VRS.

Have you done this with Reach RS+? not just the Topcon stuff…you dont want to buy any Topcon? getting rid of mine.

Only 1 concurrent, however, you can change the LoRa-frequency of the rover, and thus connect to another base broadcasting on a different frequency.
Or you could have both bases broadcasting to an NTRIP-caster, and connect to the different bases as needed.

Well, that depends on how you would process it. If you just post-process them in a normal way, 1:1 base/rover, it would not give you a greater accuracy, only a better confidence in your data (if baseline constraints are honored for both bases).

All sorts of trickery could be done with more expensive software, but with RTKLib your options in this regard are non-existing.
However, for absolute precision, it is hard to beat a base positioned on a known point and the rover being inside the max baseline limit (10 km on the L1-only RS+).

The repeater use was just on Topcon, but I am sure that someone has a repeater that would work with Emlid. I just have never gone there. The daisy-chaining will work as long as you are on the same frequency, for RTK, but as Wizprod said it could be problematic for PPK. As soon as the second base overpowers the first you will still receive corrections, but you can also operate as the Wiz said and set them at different channels and swap over when the first drops off. Problem is that you don’t know when that is going to happen.

We use Topcon in our construction business because that was our choice for machine control, but I am most interested in Emlid, especially the 2-models so that I can start providing GNSS layout equipment to all of our 30+ crews. We already have the infrastructure supplying layout data so for us it would be as easy as creating points maps to import for stakeout.

All that said, PM me a list of what you want to sell and i’ll take a look. I just can’t let it interfere with my near acquisition of some RS2’s and M2’s. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @rowleysurveying,

As Christian has mentioned, in the ReachView App you can configure to receive corrections from one base at a time. You can manually disconnect from one base and connect to another if needed.

In the RTKLib, you can also process the rover log with the log from one base at a time.

How does the rover know it is a different base if they are setup exactly the same? My only guess is that it is not dynamic and the difference in base coordinates will mess with it? With our Topcon gear it is only dependent on the control point the base is setup on being in the control file, but that may be a domino affect of not having localization…

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.