Base station permanent mounting questions

I’m planning on a permanent installation of my base station. I have a couple considerations, but there could be others that I’m overlooking. I’d be interested in others’ experiences of comments!

My current thinking is to install the Reach base module in a pole-mounted weatherproof plastic box. The antenna and sufficient ground plane would be mounted at the top of the pole, perhaps 2m above the ground. There would be a small solar panel (10W) mounted on the pole, well under the antenna. Also inside the plastic box would be a 8Ah 12V battery and a solar charge controller.

Here are my concerns:

1. Continuous operation

Has anyone run the Reach module continuously, 24x7, say, for a year? The rover would be active very infrequently, but, if I install the base module, I would just leave it run.

2. Temperature

Since the box is waterproof, the only weather condition would be the temperature. Here in the Atlanta area, a maximum ambient temperature could occasionally reach 45C. The plastic box is a light gray, so it should not heat appreciably as a result of the sun.

I’ve noted that the Reach module is rated for 40C, limited by the rating of the Edison. I don’t expect much heat from the battery or the battery charge controller.

Perhaps I should remove the plastic sheath that protects the Reach module?

3. Other considerations?

Is there anything else I should think about? For example, there are two GPIO pins available - I’m thinking that I should probably interface a simple temperature and voltage sensor to allow reporting of those conditions through the Edison/WiFi.

1 Like

Hi Matt,

I think that what you are attempting to do is definitely possible. We have a constantly operating base in our office, but we have chosen to run a long cable outside and have all the electronics inside the building. It is much more convenient in my opinion, if there is a possibility to do so.

2 Likes

Thank you, Igor! I like this idea.

Originally, I thought I would be limited to a standalone base, away from my house, so that I could have a precise lat/long surveyed to where the base antenna is located.

Putting the antenna on top of my house would give a clear (very good) sky view, but it’s a two story with a steep roof, so getting an antenna up there would be tough. Plus, getting the lat/long reference point from a surveyor would be practically impossible.

Now, with the “average in” feature to set the base coordinates, I don’t need a precise surveyed reference point for the base, making a house-mounted base station possible.

Given that my house’s roof access would still be difficult, I’m going to stick with the installation in a weatherproof box, mounted on a pole. I’ll post a picture once I get it up. I think it’ll be in a month or two.

However, I am re-assured that I can run the base continuously. To maximize cooling, I think I’ll remove the plastic sheath.

My project build is nearing completion. I’ll post/share more late spring / early summer when I start testing this puppy out. It’s looking very, very good!

Thanks again.

2 Likes

I am considering the same, putting one RS2+ as a permanent base station on a roof. Would be nice to see more feedback from someone, who has already done it. @igor.vereninov can you post a picture of your base station?

1 Like

See attached. SC Geodetic Survey Trimble Alloy receiver mount

1 Like

Ok - I need to follow through with my promise on a base station, even if it is 5 years later!

I took a galvanized fence post, painted it green. I created a flange, and I got a plastic top from a truck satellite receiver. A weatherproof plastic box for the battery, charge controller, and imlid Reach module. It is within range of my WiFi…

1 Like

Incidentally, you kinda want a 20W solar panel. I think I have a 15W, which is not enough to keep the emlid module powered all the time - it runs down the battery. I could have experimented with a low power mode, etc, but didn’t get that far.

2 Likes