Autonomous control for indoor

Hi! Hope you are all doing well.

I would like to know what is the best and easiest solution to program a Navio2 drone for manual controls without GPS. Essentially I just want to have high level controls (pitch, roll, yaw and throttle) while having all low level, the stabilization, compensation etc… taken care by the Navio.

I noticed that I can run python scripts on Mission Planner but does the script compiles on the drone or on the computer? I was also thinking about running a script manually on the RPi but I feel like the low level stuff will not be handled.

An other option is to use ROS maybe? In this case, could you give me some pointers to get started? I already did the doc’s tutorial and was able to read topics but not entirely sure how to control the drone through nodes.

Any help or pointers will be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Hey there,

I suppose that the easiest workaround is to use stabilize flight mode for your drone. This mode doesn’t need GPS to fly, so you can manually control the drone indoors.

The article about flight-modes might be of interest to you.

Thank you for the response!

I am currently using ROS to control the drone. Would you know which mavros topic controls the roll, pitch, yaw and altitude of the drone? I don’t want to set geographical spacial points but rather RC-like controls. I tried /mavros/manual_control/send but it doesn’t seem to work.

I’m afraid I can’t recommend you such topic. It looks like there is no mavros topic, that can just control the roll, pitch, yaw and altitude. You can implement it, but it takes some research from you.

How would be the easiest way to control the drone then (without GPS data)?

You can set Alt Hold flight mode using mavros, however, it requires RC control.

I suppose it would be better to ask that question on ROS forum, cause it’s likely they can suggest you a more specific workaround.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.