Automatic Adjust Base Station

Hi everyone,

is there an option that the base station automatic chooses a new position when i am moving in the field?

For example. I start atvone point and the base is automically positioned a few meters next to me. But when i am walking on with my emlid, the base is fixed at that point. Even when i am walking a few hundred meters away from it.

Can there be an improvement for this?

Greetings

In base settings tab ,just press the button average again ,then it will give its new location

3 Likes

Hi Lauri,

Although the base unit recalculates its position regularly, the position that the base transmits to the rover stays the same. And this position is saved in the Base settings. As @davehofer1993 said, you have to tap on the “Average Again” button on the Base settings tab when you change its location if you’ve set up the base using the position averaging with single, float, or fix solutions. Alternatively, you can reboot the unit as it will also recalculate its position in this case.

If you’ve chosen the Manual method and placed your base on a known point, you have to add the coordinates of the new point when you change its position.

1 Like

In general, you need to have absolute control over your base position, as this defines everything else in the chain.

Can you share your usecase? Why do you need to move the base after such a short distance?

3 Likes

I just think, the measurement is more precise when thebase is always located 3 to 5m beside you then 150m and more

Nop… not really. You’ll get more or less the same at that distance, as the ionispheric and atmospheric disturbances or more or less the same over 3 or 150 meters.
Additionally, when you move your base, you will also have an error from a new GNSS measurement and from the new physical placement.

Without having done the math on it, I’d say you can probably get out to 2-3 km and still get the same precision.

4 Likes

Yes, you described it very well, my colleague wizprod.

I would like to add that you can quantify a theoretical accuracy error with the following mathematical formula.

Horizontal Accuracy= 7mm+1mmKm(separation from the base in kilometers)
Vertical Accuracy= 14mm+1mm
Km(separation from the base in kilometers)

now, without knowing what kind of work you do, I would recommend you to leave topographic marks in the project to continue advancing, always with points that are linked to each other, with a new position calculated in average single, you can easily introduce an error of 90cm.

1 Like