Emlid

Community Forum

AUSCORS NTRIP, base required?

(Jeremy Connor) #1

Hey everyone. If I purchased a single reach RS+ (acting as a rover) and then connected that to AUSCORS NTRIP, then would that be sufficient to get highly accurate positional data for creating GCPs? I understand the typical configuration would be a Rover and a Base, being two units; but from my perspective twice the cost, so if I can get away with operating via NTRIP instead of a second unit acting as a base station, that would be awesome!

Any advice greatly appreciated!

(Andrew Yushkevich) #3

Hi @j.dixon.au,

RTK requires 2 Reach units: base and rover. One Reach in a Single mode can provide only submeter accuracy.

However, you don’t always need 2 RTK receivers.
It’s also possible to use NTRIP caster via the Internet as a base station. It allows getting centimeter accuracy with only one Reach unit used as a rover.

So, if you’ve already got access to the NTRIP station, you can use it as a base.

(Andrew Yushkevich) #4

I’d also recommend checking if AUSCORS supports as output one of the following Reach correction input formats: RTCM2, RTCM3, OEM4, OEM3, UBX, SS2, HEMIS, SKYTRAQ, SP3.

(Jeremy Connor) #5

Theres one 100km from me which is apparently broadcasting RTCM 3.2 with
GPS+GLO+GAL+BDS+QZSS so it seems likely that if I have a sufficient mobile connection I could use AUSCORS instead of a base reach unit and reduce the upfront cost! Thank you very much for your feedback.

(Christian Grüner) #6

100 km is way too much for RTK usage. PPK could work, if signal levels are good.
For RTK, you need a baseline 5-10 km max to get a fix.

(Jeremy Connor) #7

If that is the case, then what is the benefit of AUSCORS NTRIP feeds being internet accessible? If they are only useful to people within 5-10 kilometers of a feed position, then they probably cover less than a fraction of a percent of Australia :frowning: Still, thank you for telling me, I appreciate the information!

(Christian Grüner) #8

That’s probably a question better asked to AUSCORS themselves :wink: From their map, it seems the station are concentration around either cities or near large industrial sites.

(Ryszard Pażus (GeoDigitalGNSS)) #9

There were several threads on this topic. Maybe read here..
AUSCORS is enough for all of Australia.
Check also VRS paid services. They are relatively cheap in Europe. I do not know what it looks like in Australia.

(Hunter) #10

When you say AUSCORS is enough for all of Australia you are referring to PPK solution and not RTK, correct?

(Christian Grüner) #11

Must be…

(Ryszard Pażus (GeoDigitalGNSS)) #12

AUSCORS for PPK, others for RTN or RTK, example