AT&T 3G Network

As of February 2022, AT&T’s 3G network is going away. There are some parts of the country that may have already experienced this. At least in my part of far west Texas, I have one receiver that is still able to connect to the internet and another that I am having a little problem connecting. I sent an email to Emlid asking about the future of their receivers and they told me that they are unable to update their current stable of receivers. I asked them if they are going to resolve this issue and it doesn’t seem like they have given it much thought, but they may look into it. Is anyone else aware of this issue and, are there any plans as to what you will do for NTRIP service?

Hi Michael,

Reach RS2 can work with 2G, and it will fall back to it in the case of 3G phase-out. Since RTCM3 correction messages are lightweight, it should be enough to receive or send them. So, you can connect to NTRIP as usual.

I have one receiver that is still able to connect to the internet and another that I am having a little problem connecting.

If both receivers are equipped with SIM cards of the same provider and behave differently in the same location, it doesn’t seem related to the 3G phase-out. If the issue is repetitive, please describe what happens with this unit.

1 Like

I knew Verizon was as well.

I did a little research and found this

Most of America’s largest carriers have already shuttered their 2G service or plan to soon:

• AT&T stopped servicing its 2G network back in 2017.
  • Verizon Wireless phased out its 2G CDMA network at the end of 2020.
  • Sprint sunsetted their 2G CDMA network in December of 2021.
  • T-Mobile plans to sunset their 2G network in December of 2022.

Also found this regarding 3G, T-Mobile being the last holdout,

After multiple changes, T-Mobile is setting its foot down on a solid timeline, at least for now. On its page for tracking its Network Evolution, the carrier notes that it will be shutting down its 3G UMTS network on July 1, 2022.

Sounds like either an Emlid upgrade is needed or only rely on Wi-Fi connections via hotspot in the U.S.

I have been on the phone back and forth with AT&T for a couple of days now trying to come up with something that will work till February. As far as the sim card goes, it would work if AT&T would authorize its use. I went to the AT&T store yesterday and they tried to get my sim card authorized there. He manager of the store tried and told me that 3g is definitely lock out. They are not authorizing any 3g devices at this time. Those that have their 3g working okay, but I don’t think any one trying to get a new card working will be able to. If someone is thinking about purchasing the RS2 today, I would hold off until a solution is found.

Emlid, you need to get some new receivers out with hardware that works on 4 or 5g. And a trade-in program would be perfect!

Hi @txsurveyor4156 and @jp-drain-sol,

It’s indeed a serious obstacle to further work with SIM cards. We understand your concern about this difficulty. Although we don’t have a solution for you right now, we’re going to look into it closer and see what we can do to solve it in the future.

This is why I do not use a SIM. Other manufacturers have included them in their products and as soon as the wireless providers change something, it is no longer any good. The wireless companies tend to completely change things up every 3 -5 years, it creates a steady income for them on new gadgets/contracts.

This is why WiFi capability is much better in my opinion. At least most of it is backward compatible.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.