I can’t get to that settings page to send a system report. I think I was never able to successfully download the update. When I connect my android tablet to the reach hotspot the app shows that the tests have been completed and asks to connect to WiFi. Once I select a network (started using a private home WiFi network instead of the campus public network), the reach unit is able to connect to the WiFi (showing solid blue WiFi led light) and my tablet connects to the network. From this point the app shows the “We can’t seem to find any Reach recievers in your local network.” page. Using Fing I can scan the WiFi network and see that the reach is connected to the network (reach.Ian, 192.168.xx.xx, AMPAK Technology). I have tried entering the 192.168.xx.xx address into a Chrome web browser but the connection always times out.
Other things I have tried:
- using a personal hotspot from my cell phone (iPhone, the android tablet is through my work and does not have cellular service). Even though the password I enter into the app is correct and the bluetooth on my phone is set to allow new devices, the reach unit is unable to connect and always goes back to creating it’s own hotspot.
- Flashing the firmware, this just starts me back at entering a WiFi network and I have the exact same problems as before.
I need to get this device working at the very latest by Friday (7/3), I have already missed 3 days of fieldwork trying to get this unit to work properly.