Antenna position relative to camera

So Pix4d is passing the buck here on this one. I have some email correspondence from them that says that they dont see a point to adding antenna offset in their software as “PPK use is not as widespread as traditional GCP. In addition it is the opinion of Pix4D, after exhaustive testing that geotagged image only processing is not as accurate as that when using GCP.”

This says to me that either they do not understand what PPK is and have not actually tested it out. Seems like a long road ahead for those with offsets. In fact, one of my public queries about PPK antenna offsets on their support page was deleted!

Sounds like they dont understand the problem. If so, that would be hillariuous when looking at the size etc of the company. Did you try reaching out to other contacts at their side?

With no way for me to record time stamps/sync then GCPs is the best option. I’m sure they will jump on board when more platforms allow for PPK. Until then the market is very small unless you purchase big equipment, or modify your own platform. They would rather sell to the masses than the few. The market will eventually get to PPK as a standard albeit when platforms are more easily to acquire camera syncs.

Until then, my Reach modules will be collecting GCPs as normal. Also, if your in the field anyways setting a few check points, why not hit a few control points as well to help aide in processing. If I’m going to the field I want as much info as possible versus trying to spend the least amount of time there. I understand time is money, but there comes a point…

First rule of surveying: always make a backup
2nd rule of surveying : always check your work
3rd rule of surveying : always check your checked work and backup

4 Likes

:mage: Take heed, the wizard hath spoken. :arrow_heading_up:

1 Like

I don’t think having a beard sufficiently qualifies me as a wizard. You need to go to Hogwarts for that.

2 Likes

Tell me you don’t have a pointed hat and a walking stick and can have sticks and balls retrieved for you on command :dog2: ?!?

(Pardon me for derailing the thread. Back on track now --> :steam_locomotive: )

2 Likes

What do you expect for $8k, yet 1 more control field, sheesh ! (sarcasm)
Not too forward thinking on pix4d’s part I’m afraid.

According to my information they are working on it. I sent them some datasets a while ago, where we had PPK + lever arm compensation. But to be honest, have not heard from them since. Moreover, they should be busy nowadays with fixing bugs what they introduced in their new releases. :frowning:

for those who use Tower, there is an option called: ‘‘Lock copter orientation’’

If enabled and set to 0deg, the aircraft will always face North throughout the mission. Rtkpost / Options / Positions,
give the possibility to enter the offsets
Untitled

dan marcotte

I wouldn’t lock the copter to north. Only when your flightpaths are north-south oriented it would be appropriate. If your flightpath is angled relative to north, the overlap of the pictures is totaly messed up when the copters orientation is locked to north.

I agree that a XYZ offset will work only if a N/S flightpath is set which is not always appropriate
and for the other cases only the delta Z can be input.
Facing this problem, a quick solution was finding a way to move the antenna over the camera to eliminated the need for XY offset and dealing only with the Z.
Using a short mast should mitigated the level effect …
Still in developpment - testing phase

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.