Amplifying (or repeating) the LoRa radio signal

Hello y’all, I have a question for you.
I’m using a pair of RS2 in the base+rover setup (base located on a know point). I’m doing a land survey. Here, I have a drawing for you guys to understand (not to scale):

In this case, I placed the base on the point A. I’ve collected a bunch of coordinates at the point B and C, no problems. But when I get to the point D, the connection with the base was lost. It took me a very long time to get a fix.

Solution: remove the base from the point A and place it on the point C. No biggies. But is it possible to place another RS2 (or a M2) in the point C, and kind of “amplify” or “repeat” the LoRa radio signal that is coming from my base, without moving it from the point A?

Thank you very much and have a safe weekend.

1 Like

With the stock radios in current form no chance, will add this idea to my winter project of activating a external m2 radio without the m2.

Using ebyte lora radios they do have repeater mode, or just get a super strong data radio that does not use lora. Switch to cellular corrections is another way. Anyway in current form all solutions are external to the platform.

3 Likes

I don’t know why you couldn’t put another base and just change the channel? When you get to that area and lose your fix change the channel on the rover and keep going. Just make sure the coordinate you collect for Point C is tight as shot from A so you have a good coordinate for manual entry. Once you have set the point put the base on C and stakeout A. Band-Aid but if you can’t use repeaters there’s not much else I can think of besides getting on a network.

2 Likes

I see multiple easy solutions:

• Have the base broadcast to Emlid Caster over internet, and then connect to the caster from the rover
  • post process your data, so you are not dependent upon a real time correction signal
  • amplify the LoRa signal, or choose another type of radio, that hooks on to the UART port.

Hi @rsurveyor1,

What is the baseline between your base and rover in point D?

You can lower the Air data rate in LoRa settings before trying other options. It helps to increase the LoRa range. Check our LoRa tunning guide in the docs.

The other simple thing you can try is to raise the rover higher above the ground. It can also help cut the time for getting a fix solution.

4 Likes

Hello people! Thank you so much for all the answers. As a matter of fact, this is a workflow problem that was happening with a friend of mine, and since he doesn’t speak english I decided to help him out. Will read all the answers for him and see what he has to say.

Cheers and have a safe week.

Hello,

Reading this information and imagining the alternative of using an auxiliary base to increase the range between the main base and the rover.
If there are two bases with the same channel settings, frequencies…
What happens to the rover?
My question is whether having two bases close together can make the rover “get lost”

I’ve had a problem in the past with a GNSS from another brand and I’m pretty sure there was interference from a base of another nearby professional.

Are you just recording points? then PPK is the easiest.
But if youre doing stakout too, you could use base shift, If you only use it one time the error shouldnt be to be much either. The drawback is maybe tracking backward to pick up the base, like in the straight line in your picture. E.g start base at point A or B and Stakout C, Then move base to C and apply shift and survey leftover points.
Or if you have a third unit, use base shift just before you lose signal and survey the last part and pick up your base units on your way back.
In my opinion, that is as much work as putting up a repeater on point C

Or just put your base on point C and survey all in one go, or find a place where base would reach out to all areas?

So you have no cellular network ?

That’s exactly what happens. If your ROVER receiver is on the same frequency as two or n other bases, receiving the same correction protocol, it will be lost in calculating its position. There is still no way to make a differentiation in Emlid’s software, such as a BASE-ID.

1 Like

It would be cool if Emlid could determine baselines from both or “n” number of bases transmitting corrections. Just like CORS but local realtime. You would have an absolute true verified RTK position from all bases local onsite. Each individual baseline is processed and the mean of all RTK positions is displayed by using the RS2 bases corrections.

This is basically what I do using both my M2’s as a static baseline while I use my Javad rover assessing the state RTN. If I loose cell service, I still have local short baselines to PP and determine my rover position. Short project site baselines are your friend.

Emlid really needs to develope this with multiple bases broadcasting corrections… a true realtime verified RTK position.

2 Likes

This is the way our Topcon behaves whether you are using two bases or a repeater. If machine control can do it there is no reason why a more capable data collector can’t.

2 Likes

If I get the 3rd party radio thing done, I think a repeater function could be added to the project where it receives the base data and basically sends it out as it receives. I am not sure if this would cause issues with FIX or not. I would think it would be milliseconds difference in the message out.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.