Alternative antenna

I am installing a reach RTK into a static object that has a 20cm long x 7cm wide top steel bar which hast to fit 2 x 4G antennas and a GNSS antenna suitable for Reach on it. All aerials must be through hole mounted. Because this will be deployed in an industrial environment I have ta accept some loss of gain/performance having a maximum groundplane width of 7cm.
The Reach RTK comes with the recommended Tallysman TW4721, has anyone had experience of the Reach RTK with the Tallysman TW3370? This antenna specifically as it has a higher gain than the standard and the correction network I am using oonly provides for GPS and GLONASS corrections. Any thoughts on this esp from Emlid would be appreciated.
Simon

Be careful about that 40dB gain. How far away will Reach be from the antenna? I guess you’ll be OK if it is a long distance.
https://forum.u-blox.com/index.php/4990/can-an-active-antenna-have-too-much-gain

28dB on a short 6 inch cable has worked good for me:

Yes, its tricky. I cannot get a 10cm groundplane due to design constraints, therefore have to try alternatives. I am seeing a 6-8 db drop with a ground plane that is only 7cm wide and 10cm long so am trying to get some of that back. concur that I want to avoid noise.

If you have no height limitation, maybe you can put the GNSS antenna above the 4G antennas, so at least the ground plane will provide separation from the 4G.

Don’t smartphones employ sophisticated timing control which prevents certain components from receiving while another component is transmitting? So, will the 4G be streaming real-time GNSS data, or will it be doing collect, then transmit cycles?

Also, I don’t think there’s any rule against a rectangular ground plane. Why not go 7cm x 12cm? It’s tough to say if you should orient the long side E-W or N-S. That is assuming you can choose the orientation.

And yes, hopefully you can find a way to avoid as much noise as possible.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . __________________ .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  ./ .  .  .  .  .  . \.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  /     G  N  S  S     \  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  .  .____________________________________________.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
.  .  /  \  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  /  \  .  .
.  .  |  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  |  .  .
.  .  |  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  |  .  .
.  .  |4G|  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |4G|  .  .
.  ./ .  . \.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  . /.  .\ .  .
.  /  .  .  \  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  /  .  .  \  .
.  ____________________________________________________________________________  .
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  .  .  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  |  .  .  |  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .

I have this one on an up coming fixed wing, recommended by a well known local drone company.(E38)

Linx antenna SH-MCX

I have not finished my build so I have not tested myself. One thing that is cool about it is that it’s magnetic! Although I was informed to try and use around a 9.5cm ground plane; which I have room for but you do not. Not sure how much the smaller diameter would hurt it.

Surprisingly the 3G/4G seems to not be an issue with the stock antenna (narrow enough band filter?)
Agree with the 7x12 that is what I am testing at the moment.
Tried a combined GPS/GLONASS - 4G antenna where the GNSS antenna was stacked on top of the cellular antenna but it was poor.
@DaneGer21 The one you point out is a GPS antenna not sure if it has the bandwidth for GLONASS as well. JUst one Q for drone deployment if you have a compass on your drone do you really want a magnetic mount on your gps antenna? If no compass, not a problem.

It shouldn’t be mounted that close anyways. Plus I trust one of the leading drone manufacturers…Event38. When he sold me a Reach unit, he stated he doesn’t even stock the Tallysman, he wasn’t happy with the performance on his fixed wing drones. They have waaaaay more experience than me.

I will give Jeff a shout today, maybe he removes them and uses two sided tape. I’ll post his response in regards to the magnetic mount on the Linx antenna SH-MCX.

Will yours be on a drone? Will the magnets hurt your setup?

To Jeff…

From Jeff…

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.