Advise on Reach RS (not RS+) and M (not M+) rtk option/s setup

Before creating a new thread please refer to Quickstart guides for Reach and Reach RS.

In case you are creating a thread about an issue it is necessary to provide following information to get help:

1. Firmware image and ReachView version.
  2. System report.
  3. Detailed problem description. How does observed behavior differ from the expected one?
  4. Your step by step actions.
  5. Picture of the setup and connection scheme.
  6. If you are reporting an issue with solution, please provide RTKPLOT of observations from rover and base (with all the systems enabled and LLI flag for cycle slips). Instructions can be found here.
  7. Attach RINEX log files for rover and base. If you prefer to keep them confidential, you can email the files to support@emlid.com with a link to the thread. Please note, that in this case, other community members will not be able to help you.

Greetings everyone … I bought a “REACH RS” and a “REACH RTK GNSS MODULE” to implement an RTK solution. Unfortunately after buying, I realized the reach rs has lorad radio while the rtk gnss module does not. There is a rtk gnss lorad radio but its only for the M+ version not the older M. Will using an ntrip solution still enable me to do RTK with the equipment I have? Will buying a M+ rtk gnss module the only option to salvage what I have to do RTK? Any other thoughts on how to do rtk with the equipment that I already have will be appreciated very much. Thanks.

You can rather go PPK with your current equipment. If you are not flying far (<100m), you can probably use WiFi for sending the corrections from your base station.

But I would rather go PPK way.

Thanks. I agree the most ideal use scenario for the equipment I have is ppk. However, I need to identify as close as I can satellite imagery pixel corners (10m x 10m pixels) to monitor vegetation index over time. I’ll explore the use of wifi, as you suggested, to send corrections as I cannot put a lora antenna on the older rtk gnss module. By any chance you have a detailed procedure on the wifi-based rtk solution that I can adapt for my equipment/use case? Thanks in advance.

Ok, I am not sure, I understood your workflow. You want to georeference satellite images. In order to do it, you need a RTK solution. As far as I know, usually satellite images can be georeferenced via landmarks like crossroads or building corners. For that, you need to survey them with RTK and that’s all. Why do you need both units? What are you going to do?

Good question. I am not geo-referencing satellite images but will be locating the corners of satellite grid pixel corners. Once located, operations done on the area will be be correlated with vegetation index over time for that fixed patch of earth. Another way to explain it is, I will be getting the coordinates of the four vertices of a satellite grid pixel and using the reach equipment will be marking the ground location as if they are point of interest (POI). As presumably I will have a number of pixels adjacent to one another to monitor over time, I must be very close to the each location of the corners otherwise, the vegetation index I’m monitoring per pixel will be all over the place so to speak. In order to do that the coordinates provided for each “POI” must be as close as it is to what the satellite imagery measured and for that I need the RTK solution to be computed properly. Hope that make sense. Thanks.

1 Like

I see your point. If you have CORS network, then you can go RTK with RS. Beware, that it is only L1 receiver, so you might wait on each point in order to get FIX solution. If you don’t have CORS, then only PPK is an option. Or, by using both units attached to some other UHF radio.

If you are patient enough, you can do a PPP. It can be done even only with one receiver.

Can I connect a radio on the REACH RS like the 3dr? I understand RS got its own lorad but can I use a different radio. I know I can put a 3dr_radio on the M (not M+) RTK module. So if I can use an alternative radio than lorad on the rs then I think I can make my work flow operational. What do you think? Yes, I just realized when reading the specs that emlid utilizes only L1 and not L2. Thanks.

Hi @rogerix20002000,

You can integrate Reach RS with an external 3rd party radio via RS232 or USB port. Here’s an example of it.

Thanks will check it out.

This topic was automatically closed 100 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.